Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
california
I notice that MR rarely focuses on things 'after-the-fact'. For example, we had countless articles leading up to the release of the film JOBS -- so much so that the forums were filled with endless complaints by many, many members. But after, I recall just a single post saying the opening was under projections. It's undisputed that the film was a flop despite some of the most heavy marketing for any opening indie film. Why not follow up and acknowledge that? Ask why? Look for feedback from those who saw it?

Also, are you planning on posting an article that really follows up on Cook's "doubling down on secrecy"? Since he said that, almost NOTHING has been a secret -- if anything, secrecy has been cut in half! Why not acknowledge such things? Why not follow up on his statement?

Now is a good time to start a discussion on how and WHY almost nothing was a secret today. Is it planned leaks? Unplanned? I'm looking for some more depth in your articles... I know it's there somewhere.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Retrospectives, secrecy and stuff

… I notice that MR rarely focuses on things 'after-the-fact'. …

Interesting idea.

There's https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ for roundups for products.

Maybe nice to have another overview page, linking to retrospectives in certain areas (not limited to products).

Any discussion on lack of secrecy?

… are you planning on posting an article that really follows up on Cook's "doubling down on secrecy"? Since he said that, almost NOTHING has been a secret -- if anything, secrecy has been cut in half! … I'm looking for some more depth in your articles... I know it's there somewhere.

To be honest I haven't looked for any such article (sorry).

I reckon that parallel to the apparent openness, there's a culture of secrecy that's no less strong now (late 2014) than it was in the past. Also I reckon, the vast majority of people who share that culture share it by choice. Carelessness with some types of secret might lead to the severest penalties, but it's not the fear of penalty that encourages secrecy. It's simply the done thing.

Of course that's not the only culture in an organisation as diverse as Apple, but people do love to talk about secrecy ;-)

… the film JOBS …

FWIW recently in the midst of a topic about culture(s) at Apple:

Yesterday I watched just the beginning of Steve Wozniak: 'A Lot of Things Wrong' With Jobs Movie on YouTube. … suspect that a collection of snippets of information, from individuals, can't paint as realistic a picture as a single substantial contribution from one well-informed, well-connected individual. …

Not long after that post, I listened to the whole thing. Not my undivided attention, but enough to thoroughly enjoy the video.

This morning I stumbled across Steve Wozniak says 'there were a lot of things wrong' with 'Jobs' movie | The Verge (2013-08-17).

To anyone who read that brief article in The Verge: please take time to also watch the fifteen-minute video on YouTube.

(The 'feel' of what's in the video is lacking from the written article, and that's not only due to brevity. I suspect that there's a mis-quote, and so on.) …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.