Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:53 PM   #26
msmith2112
macrumors 6502

Nice...looks good! Here's mine: DIY Wooden Passive Speaker

I've got the same conundrum as to whether or not secure the dock cable inside.
msmith2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:14 AM   #27
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
I have access to a 3D printer...
Taste my jealousy...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:41 AM   #28
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith2112 View Post
Nice...looks good! Here's mine: DIY Wooden Passive Speaker

I've got the same conundrum as to whether or not secure the dock cable inside.
Nice! I love yours! I just needed something smaller but I may have to try this one for my office.

So you don't have the cable secured either? See I have more than one cable but before I secure it I want to perfect the dock and use the right tools to make the inside smooth too. I think if I had it like that then I may secure it but not to this one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
I have access to a 3D printer... That's a great idea. I might have to look into this.
If you do it I would love to see what you come up with!
kalexn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:00 AM   #29
calvy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexn View Post
Nice! I love yours! I just needed something smaller but I may have to try this one for my office.

So you don't have the cable secured either? See I have more than one cable but before I secure it I want to perfect the dock and use the right tools to make the inside smooth too. I think if I had it like that then I may secure it but not to this one.

----------

If you do it I would love to see what you come up with!
I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but I have experience making wood cutting boards and spoons, as well as various other woodworking things. My plan is to find me a block of wood and use a router to mill out the holes I need, much like a CNC machine would do. And I'm thinking JB Weld to keep the cord in place. But I don't have a specific design in mind. I need to get to my hardware store and see what kind of wood I can find. I don't want to use any of the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes. I want something like walnut or mahogany...something so nice I don't need to stain it, just a nice protective oil coat.

As soon as I get around to this, I'll post updates. I'm buying a table saw tomorrow, and plan to hit up my hardware store for some wood stock for cutting boards. I'll scope out something for this project as well while I'm there. I'm thinking if I can find a 4"x4" block of something, I'll grab that.
calvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:53 AM   #30
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvy View Post
I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but I have experience making wood cutting boards and spoons, as well as various other woodworking things. My plan is to find me a block of wood and use a router to mill out the holes I need, much like a CNC machine would do. And I'm thinking JB Weld to keep the cord in place. But I don't have a specific design in mind. I need to get to my hardware store and see what kind of wood I can find. I don't want to use any of the stuff they sell at Home Depot and Lowes. I want something like walnut or mahogany...something so nice I don't need to stain it, just a nice protective oil coat.

As soon as I get around to this, I'll post updates. I'm buying a table saw tomorrow, and plan to hit up my hardware store for some wood stock for cutting boards. I'll scope out something for this project as well while I'm there. I'm thinking if I can find a 4"x4" block of something, I'll grab that.
They did have really nice 4"x4" blocks at Home Depot and while I know you didn't want to stain, they had really nice oak that could be stained easily.
kalexn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:51 AM   #31
msmith2112
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvy View Post
And I'm thinking JB Weld to keep the cord in place
Can you explain how JB weld works and what you're plan would be. I've never used the stuff!
msmith2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Tags
dock, i made, wood