Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Just a heads up...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

Also you can click add features to get a free Media Center Code as well.
I am thinking of getting a second drive for my MacBook Pro and getting a dual boot machine going.

-----
Also got these directions from Amazon for making USB Enclosures work like internal enclosures (should make the install process easier).

I, like many of you, was frustrated by all the different choices of cheaper external enclosures. I went with my gut and bought this one. No complaints here. It's just what you would expect. Not glamorous of flashy. Just a solid enclosure to get the job done. Obviously not designed for slot load opticals like mine (as there is no faceplate for that) but that doesn't really bother me. Aesthetics weren't my top priority as much as function was. Just get a cheap pouch at the dollar store to protect from dust, or do what I did and stick it right back in the plastic sleeve it was packaged in. Viola! Perfect external enclosure.

Also, for those of you with Macs who are saying that the optical drive will no longer be able to play movies via DVD Player, you're wrong. Here's a very simple fix for that. (Note: you'll need administrator permission) If you've experiencing an error when trying to use DVDs, just find the file /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback. Copy it and paste it to the desktop. Then, leaving the original file where you found it, rename it by adding (ORIG) to the end of its name, just to keep it around for good measure. It should look like "DVDPlayback(ORIG)" Download a sweet program called 0xed and open the "DVDPlayback file you pasted on the desktop. Run a find and replace (command-F) and type "internal" in the search field and "external" in the replace field. check "all cases" option. Replace all and then "save as..." to the desktop, overwriting the other file on the desktop. Drag and drop the new file back in the System folder alongside it's (ORIG) brethren. That's it. Your now external optical drive will also play DVD movies again.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
That comes as an exe. file so you need to be running windows.

Oh, I forgot, you can use DOS :D

Also, from my limited exposure to 8 (I have a machine with it), its a horrid POS made for some kind of tablet that doesn't exist yet, as the Surface Thingy is still using RT until January. Anyway, its a dog with flees

Stick with 7

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
A. Wrong forum.
B. I see nothing that indicates it's anything but an upgrade. A full install perhaps, but it requires a qualifying Windows product to have been purchased. If you have never owned Windows, I'm pretty certain you can't just buy it for $40.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I purchased the day it came out, installed over the windows 8 public release, and it never ask me to prove for upgrade. Put in the new key and that was it.

And I think Win 8 is very good, very different, but very good. Has some features I wish OSX had.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

Also, from my limited exposure to 8 (I have a machine with it), its a horrid POS made for some kind of tablet that doesn't exist yet, as the Surface Thingy is still using RT until January. Anyway, its a dog with flees

Stick with 7

Works pretty darned well on my touchscreen ultrabook. Ya know, the device Apple is late to the game thinking about so you don't think exists because you don't step away long or far enough :) .

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

Stick with 7

I concur, but its not a dog with flees, its a dog with rabies.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Are you sure the upgrade works fine for a full install?

Yes, just have to have a windows machine to make the disks or order the media. It installed over my win 8 dev beta, no issues. I only tried it because my xp machine was hosed by it so put it on the hackintosh I put together. Manager of office depot was certain the $70 upgrade disks were the full copies they sell, and because I had all in hand it was worth trying (no I did not buy from OD).

Only hiccup I had was not setting the time zone on the media center portion. Took me a while to figure out why shows were not lining up.

Thinking of doing the two drive setup in my MacBook pro. 750gb momentus xt is ~ $116 now on Newegg. Keep my 500 xt for osx, 750 xt for win 8 & gaming.

Also it blows Beta away, and it's stable. I use 7 at work, 8 is a breath of fresh air. I wish osx had the apps as easily integrated (iOS + OSX). MS did it right, and I am surprised at how well it works. Just as surprised as I was when Apple released iPad 4 early. If you want to know why apples stock has taken a hit, I think investors know apple has real competition out there from the Redmond Giant, plus Google. I am an apple fan by the way. I hated the beta copy as much as others here who tried it, too much was broken when I tried it. $40 made it worth trying, just hope I can rescue my XP machine. Had to power that one off as it locked up in recovery, but I have a backup of data so no harm there, just have to do the time to get it happy (think it needs a newer graphics card).

Switching between app mode (RT) and desktop mode is easy, click in corners of the screen.

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
works pretty darned well on my touchscreen ultrabook. Ya know, the device apple is late to the game thinking about so you don't think exists because you don't step away long or far enough :) .

This forum never fails to amaze me. :D

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
As a fresh install on a VMware if its an exe file I don't know how that would work.
Either pay the $17 for the DVDs, or find a Windows machine or VM to make the thumb drive, ISO file, or DVD. The key itself is a full install.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Either pay the $17 for the DVDs, or find a Windows machine or VM to make the thumb drive, ISO file, or DVD. The key itself is a full install.

I downloaded the ISO file, burned a DVD and installed. Will install on my 2012 MBP when I buy another key, currently running 7 Ultimate with Parallels 8.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Getting conflicting info here about the full install:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=54080224&postcount=17

a) looks like the double-install method won't work
- the double install method allows you to install windows 7 on top of itself, therefore "upgrading" itself
- this loophole was found out after the fact, and it looks like it was closed w/ Win8
b) looks like you must have a previous version of windows installed to start the upgrade process
- you cannot start fresh with just the serial key from the old machine
- also, the machine has to have an activated version of windows
c) however, you can format the drive during the upgrade process
- no files will be transferred to the new machine

i am getting this however. but my install method seems to be like this:

1) install win xp or win vista or win 7 (whichever legit key i have) onto a brand new hard drive
2) activate said older version
3) start the win8 upgrade process
4) during the upgrade process, system will restart, and then i will have the option of formatting the hdd before installing win 8
5) format, install win8 fresh

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Getting conflicting info here about the full install:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=54080224&postcount=17

Thanks for the thread, people there was speculating, installed my copy over win 8 developer (was free, no key was needed). One interesting read...
So the only question is spend gas money driving to MicroCenter, or get the $40 download version. Hmmm. Someone in another thread brought up a good reason for buying the $40 download version: when any service pack comes out you can just redownload a new image with SP integrated.

Spent $117 on newegg, $30 on amazon, and $40 for Another key yesterday. I will let you know how it all comes together. Also win 8 pro is equivalent to win 7 ultimate. There was speculation in the thread about installing over trial, which is what I did. I can confirm once it all comes in whether that the "trial" is really needed or if it will start from scratch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IRY3ME/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs

I need to determine to go the VMW, //, or BC route. I am leaning heavily towards BC as my MBP is a 5,1 model and would use the full performance if I wanted to do any gaming. If I had something newer with more memory or a quad processor a Virtual Machine might make more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.