Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbpeeden

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I have a LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD drive on which i have installed Windows 7 (of course this also works for Windows 8 or even Vista... The installation is fully independent from the internal Mac drives. Absolutely nothing is installed onto the internal drives.

For anyone else that is interested in my method... Read on :)

There are some requirements to get this working of course:

-Access to a Windows (7 or 8) computer.
-An external Thunderbolt drive which also has a USB connector (unless you have access to a Windows computer which has a Thunderbolt port. Or you could open up the external case take out the SSD and connect it to a Windows computer in any other way..)
-A Windows driver for the Thunderbolt drive.

(The LaCie Rugged SSD has a USB connector and comes with a Windows driver, which is the reason i chose this one.)

The installation method is done using official Microsoft tools.

Step by step guide (with pictures :D ):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18TBlULjR_qr5WO_HaGrFO4QoKMnCPlObhFL0KahSQuQ/edit?usp=sharing

Would this work on a OWC Electra 6G SSD installed internally in a MBP using a data doubler? I have a late 2012 13" Macbook Pro i7. I use windows relatively frequently and would like to be able to have one internal HD for OSX and another for Windows so I won't have to always have an external HD with me.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Would this work on a OWC Electra 6G SSD installed internally in a MBP using a data doubler? I have a late 2012 13" Macbook Pro i7. I use windows relatively frequently and would like to be able to have one internal HD for OSX and another for Windows so I won't have to always have an external HD with me.

Ah far as I'm aware cause the internal drives are connected via sata you would jjust install windows as normal.

werekorden

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
Hi I used BootCAmp to install Windows 10 on my internal HDD (with GUID). After that I made a Winclone iso of it and tried to install it on an external Thunderbolt Freecom HDD, which I partitioned with GUID and two Partitions one with mac journaled and one the one for Windows with FAT32. After that I Used Winclone to install Windows from the iso (the internal one I made before out of the running Windows system) onto the external drive.

First time after rebooting nothing worked, then I change the iso from legacy Boot to EFI boot and it tried to start Windows from the external Drive after rebooting but I saw this rotating circle of Windows starting but then it crashed and rebooted.

Does anybody has an idea what happened here? I also tried to start with legacy mode but then Windows is not starting at all.

THX
Andreas

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.