Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
They also added a new emotions with a little preview of what they do

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-25 at 4.04.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-25 at 4.04.21 PM.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 87

Jaykob

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
crashing...

It crashes right on startup o my Retina 15". Only low resolution mode works but looks really ugly... Anybody else with this problem?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
yet the most feature rich and one of the most popular :rolleyes:

What, AV chatting and calling phones? Google does that already, and it doesn't waste your bandwidth and computer resources then produce terrible video quality. AIM can already do that minus calling phones, and it works in iChat. Skype has lousy quality and runs data from other people through your computer.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Verify mobile number.....but I don't have a mobile!

I updated my Skype to the new version and can no longer send SMS. I am asked to verify my mobile number in order to receive replies on my mobile. The thing is, I don't have a mobile and only use the Mac client so I have no number to verify, yet the SMS box will not let me type anything (it has a link in it which sends me to skype preferences to put in my mobile number!) until I verify a non existent number!

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Microsoft bought Skype for 8 billion dollars if I recall correctly. I don't know who does the development now though

And is intending to monetize it more aggressively than the last owner (ebay I think?).

Thus the iOS ads. Thus the social integration.

I just want to be able to move my preview window anywhere I want like before, not snap it to a corner.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
I updated my Skype to the new version and can no longer send SMS. I am asked to verify my mobile number in order to receive replies on my mobile. The thing is, I don't have a mobile and only use the Mac client so I have no number to verify, yet the SMS box will not let me type anything (it has a link in it which sends me to skype preferences to put in my mobile number!) until I verify a non existent number!

Thanks for sharing. No updates for me then.

And is intending to monetize it more aggressively than the last owner (ebay I think?).

Thus the iOS ads. Thus the social integration.

I just want to be able to move my preview window anywhere I want like before, not snap it to a corner.

Social integration (i.e. integration with Facebook) started long before Microsoft bought Skype. I recall being prompted to link my Skype account with my Facebook account.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'll stick with 2.8 thanks. I primarily use my computer for work/productivity/fun not as a dedicated Skype machine which is what Skype seem to thing people using their service do.

andy603

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
FB sign in

something I've always wondered about...when you provide your FB sign in credentials for Skype (or any other service that has that option) are you not opening up a MASSIVE security issue by giving your ID and PW to a thirdparty who can then access your FB stuff? Anyone know if this is true?

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Just fyi, when I signed in to Facebook via Skype, all my "hidden" people from the "News feed" page came back. Now, after I learned my lesson, I dont plan to use that function ever again. It sucked with all the double facebook notifications anyway.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
After running the latest software update (safari 6.02), Skype no longer works on my computer. I have the RMBP 15"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.