Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I was wondering around what I could get as a resale value for this Macbook Pro.

It is a 15 inch MacBook Pro (mid-2012) MD103ll/a. The specs are 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i7 Processor, and has been upgraded with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD. It was bought in August of 2012 and will come with the original box and all original accessories. Cosmetically, it is in perfect condition except a minor dent in the aluminum of the top right hand corner of the screen. Besides that there are no scratches or markings anywhere else and has been in a case. The battery has 100% health and the keyboard has always been protected with a keyboard cover, so they keys show no signs of wear.

I'm considering upgrading the MacBook Pro Retina and just wanted to know what I would be able to get out of this one.

Thanks!

-Bobby

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Oh okay I guess that sounds about right. I had sort of an estimate but I wasn't sure how much it would increase because of the SSD and decrease with the dent.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
With a mint condition, the top value is about 1600-1700. (If you are lucky enough to sell at that price, then do it immediately)

With the dent, that would probably decrease a lot, since the body exchange can cost quite a lot. I would say that is a $200 off the original value.

That SSD itself wouldn't add much value, especially come with the laptop.
I would suggest sell the SSD separately to get more money back.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I'd say $1600 because of the dent. You have to realize that most people will buy Apple refurbs or use a student discount, so that should be accounted for. And in my experience, if they're not saving more than $200 off of refurb price they won't go for it. So subtract $200 from the refurb price to be more competitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.