Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladgrig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi guys,
When do u think AirPort Extreme will be updated with USB 3.0 and /or Thunderbolt port ?

Thank you!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi guys,
When do u think AirPort Extreme will be updated with USB 3.0 and /or Thunderbolt port ?

Thank you!

My guess is next year when they also will include ac wireless protocol and they won't start that until Mac's have it, so second half or end of first half 2013.
And forget about Thunderbolt.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
maybe USB3, not thunderbolt

USB2 is pretty much the same speed as a good 5GHz N signal, not sure what the extreme can get, but i get about 30-33 MB/s with my linksys if i'm in the same room.

the only way you'll see the difference between USB2 and USB3 is if you're using a wired connection.

vladgrig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
thank you for replies! i wanted to use external drive with usb 3 connected to extreme so I was wondering if its worth to wait.. now it seems probably not :):apple:

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
The impending update is one of the main reasons I didn’t but AirPort Extreme last weekend when I upgraded my network. I want a AirPort Extreme in the current form w/ wifi AC and both Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 I/O for $150.

joesrepsol

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Interface Speed versus I/O Speed

So here'e the deal... the interface speed doesn't really matter unless you have enough I/O to push it. Most users only have a single hard drive connected to their Airport Extreme. So regardless of the Interface (USB 2, USB 3, Firewire, or even Thunderbolt) you are limited to the drives performance and I/O. so it won't really go any faster.

Also, if your using the Airport Extreme in a wireless manner, then your WiFi network is a slow component as well.

All this discussion about theoritical thruput doesn't matter unless you have 6-8 SSD's in a RAID 0 stripe, then you might actually hit the ceiling of the interfaces. Ever actually copied 800MBs on your firewire connected drives? I dont think so. Ever copied 480MBs on your USB 2 drive? Didn't think so either. And you will certainly not claim to have copied 5GBs on your USB 3 drive. If so, you're just plain silly.

The only way to get those numbers is the RAID multiple drives together to hit those numbers. So unless you have (20) 6Gbs SSDs, moving an average of 500Mbs (500 x 20 = 10GB) then you probably wont hit the ceiling of a thunderbolt connection anytime soon either.

Summary:
Even if Apple added these new ports to the airport extreme, you would only see small improvements on the speed. That's a fact.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I wouldn't expect any new AE or TC until Apple adds wifi AC frequencies to their products. So probably whenever the newest iPad, Mac, or iPhone gets AC option, expect an AC AE to be right around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.