Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
On a mac mini server, how do you enter recovery mode disc utility? Before you roll your eyes, the problem I am having is obviously using bluetooth keyboard, on rebooting, it puts the keyboard to sleep so pressing CMD R whilst rebooting doesn't seem to register. Is there any way of doing this using bluetooth keyboard or do I need to get a wired keyboard?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"If anyone is scratching their heads, I got a non bluetooth keyboard and CMD R did work"

I believe the "simple, quick" answer is to get a -wired- USB keyboard...

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
true, but wanted to emphasize that I found no way to work around my problem with a bluetooth keyboard. For the benefit of anyone else in the same position...

Hyper3cube

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I have used an installation thumb drive of 10.7 to get my Mac mini 2012 to boot up and the bluetooth keyboard worked. Then just selected restore from time machine backup (which was 10.8.1). That's the only way I could get it to work.

opendave

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
true, but wanted to emphasize that I found no way to work around my problem with a bluetooth keyboard. For the benefit of anyone else in the same position...

You can do it with the bluetooth keyboard, but it is not always easy. During the restart use one hand do do the command R and the other to hit the power button on the keyboard (right edge) every time the green light goes out.

Might take a couple of restarts to get the timing right, but it does work.

Last edited:

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
On a mac mini server, how do you enter recovery mode disc utility? Before you roll your eyes, the problem I am having is obviously using bluetooth keyboard, on rebooting, it puts the keyboard to sleep so pressing CMD R whilst rebooting doesn't seem to register. Is there any way of doing this using bluetooth keyboard or do I need to get a wired keyboard?

I had no problem getting into the recovery console holding CMD+R. Yes, when you shut down your Mac it will signal your keyboard to sleep, but as soon as you touch a key, the keyboard will wake up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.