Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Finally! I was looking at comparison videos yesterday and all they do is test which iPad can launch Angry Birds faster. Ugh.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Finally! I was looking at comparison videos yesterday and all they do is test which iPad can launch Angry Birds faster. Ugh.

Yes, if all you do is spend hours flicking between home screens you might not notice much difference, but for those who actually use their iPad productively there is clearly a massive speed increase.

roverma

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Faster GPU

Try Smurf's village , the speed increase is very noticable when sailing the boat to the island.
On iPad 3 this was not smooth at all, on iPad 4 it's flawless......

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If I was doing a lot of photo and video editing work on the iPad, I would call the difference massive.

I think all the videos posted so far are productive, and do a better job at describing the capabilities of each machine more than an artificial benchmark.

The iP4 could fairly be described as the iPad Pro in terms of performance on more demanding pro apps. It's kind of like what a blackshirt at Best Buy told me when the 15" rMBP came out, "Yeah, it's a gorgeous machine. But it's only a must have if you're using it for photo and video editing."

No doubt the a6x will have longer legs, i.e., be usable for a longer time as apps will get more demanding over time. But as a relatively undemanding iP3 owner, I have no need to go out and look for Ms. Right when I'm still having a blast with Ms. Right Now.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
Like I said...if you use your iPad as a productive tool, the speed increase is massive.
I agree with you to an extent. You should better define productive in my opinion, but I understand what you are trying to say. :)

The problem I have is that you describe seeing massive speed increase when being "productive". You say being productive is not playing games, however, one will notice a speed increase in games; the more graphic-intensive, the more noticeable the difference. Photo and video editing productivity are definitely points where the speed is noticeable, as seen in the video.

I believe I use my iPad as a productive tool, however I do not do any photo or video editing. I read, edit, and create PDFs and Docs for work. I constantly email clients, schedule mettings, etc. I do not see a difference in my iPad and my co-workers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.