Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Washington State
Hey guys.

I promise I totally realize that this question has probably been posted and answered before. But I tried my best to look, but couldn't find a clear cut answer, just because there are so many topics covered in this forum.

Basically, I have a 1 TB External Hard Drive that I used to use with my Windows. Now I need to get it to my Mac, but it's "Read Only". I know about formatting the hard drive, and then reformatting to FAT format vs NFTS and all that.

My real question is, how do I keep all my files? Formatting entails deleting all of it.

So, that's it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Hey guys.

I promise I totally realize that this question has probably been posted and answered before. But I tried my best to look, but couldn't find a clear cut answer, just because there are so many topics covered in this forum.

Basically, I have a 1 TB External Hard Drive that I used to use with my Windows. Now I need to get it to my Mac, but it's "Read Only". I know about formatting the hard drive, and then reformatting to FAT format vs NFTS and all that.

My real question is, how do I keep all my files? Formatting entails deleting all of it.

So, that's it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

just back up all the files to another drive, or dvd, re-format the external to Mac Journaled and transfer all your files back, shouldn't be a problem ;)

Wyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Washington State
just back up all the files to another drive, or dvd, re-format the external to Mac Journaled and transfer all your files back, shouldn't be a problem ;)

So are saying that I need to get another hard drive? All I have is this 1 TB, and then a 500 GB, but I'm sure that's formatted to Windows as well.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
So are saying that I need to get another hard drive? All I have is this 1 TB, and then a 500 GB, but I'm sure that's formatted to Windows as well.

Yeah, you'd need another drive. How many files are on the external? Like will they fit on your macs internal? It'll take awhile but if you could transfer all of them to that, re-format the drive, and then move them back onto it you'd be fine.

Basically, your drive is read only so you do need a re-format. If you want to keep the files during this you'll have to back them up somewhere else first.

Wyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Washington State
Yeah, you'd need another drive. How many files are on the external? Like will they fit on your macs internal? It'll take awhile but if you could transfer all of them to that, re-format the drive, and then move them back onto it you'd be fine.

Basically, your drive is read only so you do need a re-format. If you want to keep the files during this you'll have to back them up somewhere else first.

I do have enough space on my internal, but since it is read only, how can I transfer them over?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I do have enough space on my internal, but since it is read only, how can I transfer them over?

You can transfer FROM a read only drive, you just can't write files TO it. If you want to test pick a folder and hit command+i on it. Change your permissions to read only. You'll then be able drag files out of it but not into it. The process is the same for hard drives. If you can read, you can get the files.

Wyat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Washington State
Cool, thank you. I'll just transfer it internally, reformat the drive, then put all the files back on. Let's see how it goes! Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.