Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I went to the auto show here in Charlotte and over at the Nissan display they had 4 or 5 iMacs but I didn't see any keyboards or mice near them. I looked at the screen and decided to touch it and then I saw the mouse move! I was able to scroll around and double tap on the screen pretty much everything I would expect to be able to do with a touch screen.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a lip maybe 1/32" thick that looked like some sort of overlay on the original screen but I didn't see any wires hidden anywhere. It was a very professional job whoever did it. I was really surprized to see this but wanted to know if any of you know about touch screen iMacs. Personally I like having a mouse but this was kind of cool.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I've seen a company that makes screen overlays for the iMac (the original glass comes off). Search in YouTube (in my phone so I can't).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I went to the auto show here in Charlotte and over at the Nissan display they had 4 or 5 iMacs but I didn't see any keyboards or mice near them. I looked at the screen and decided to touch it and then I saw the mouse move! I was able to scroll around and double tap on the screen pretty much everything I would expect to be able to do with a touch screen

The only good use for a Touch Screen desktop computer, IMO. A kiosk.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Maybe something like this?

No. I should have taken a picture of it but even if I did all you would see is a normal looking iMac screen with only the power cable in the back. The "chin" still was silver and looked just like normal.

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
No. I should have taken a picture of it but even if I did all you would see is a normal looking iMac screen with only the power cable in the back. The "chin" still was silver and looked just like normal.

Yep, you probably saw something different. Although the one I linked does show that they also have options for a normal looking iMac on their site

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
The only good use for a Touch Screen desktop computer, IMO. A kiosk.

I don't know, my kids touch the MacBook screen all the time, expecting it to act like the iOS devices we have. I could see it on a laptop more than a desktop; the distance from keyboard to screen is much smaller. Maybe a future BTO option... Although Apple would probably double to price of the computer then :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.