Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
iPod Touch is again another touch player which is an annoyance for quick, easy access to controls. Yes you can get the earpods with remote but this doesn't answer the problem with high quality head phones as they don't have remotes.

There are quite a few third party headphones with the the remote feature, and even generic smartphone headsets with a single button can play/pause and toggle between tracks. There are also adapters that place a remote in-between your headphones and device.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
There are quite a few third party headphones with the the remote feature, and even generic smartphone headsets with a single button can play/pause and toggle between tracks. There are also adapters that place a remote in-between your headphones and device.

Yeah but my "go-to" HQ head phones don't support this (Sennheiser HD495s..don't quote me on the model number there are so many different Sennheisers lol). I do use the remote earpods at the gym just so the touch gets some use on a fairly regular basis but otherwise the classic is the one that I just can't seem to let go of when it comes to music..even if the sound quality is relatively crummy compared to the competitors (Sansa Fuze+/Clip/Samsung Galaxy Player are really excellent); heck the iPod Nano/Touch actually sounds pretty good these days.

With my iPod Classic in its case hanging off my belt/pocket it is a breeze to change volume/songs..equal if not better to the remotes.

With the introduction of a 128GB iPad one has to wonder if we will see a capacity bump this year on the iPT that kills off the classic. If the iPod Touch finally gets 128GB I will probably be able to shelf my iPod Classic and get some new HQ head phones with the remote support as a relatively good replacement. Still there is always something special about the first iPod model you own. The 4G 20GB/5G 60GB were my first iPods and I've just gotten very accustomed to its design.

Last edited:

spyke1999

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Sure can. Can upgrade to SSD as well. Just need to find someone to do it for you. Would be tough to do it on your own without proper tools.

I know how to upgrade hdd and my friend can do ssd but where would I even find a 500gb hard drive at and what would the biggest ssd available for my ipod

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I know how to upgrade hdd and my friend can do ssd but where would I even find a 500gb hard drive at and what would the biggest ssd available for my ipod

Cool on the do it yourself. Wish I could. The biggest SSD I have heard going into iPod was 128GB. To find a 500 HDD, try calling the people with the link I supplied in previous post. They are good people and may let you know where. You could also check Newegg, Crucial or OWC. Any one of the 3 should be good for having a supply of these drives in stock.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
To be honest it's the first time I heard about a 500gb iPod. Would be awesome but would it actually work ? Besides not finding anything on Google, has anyone actually filled at least 250-260 gigs out of 500 ? I am talking about music only, will search function even work ? I heard stories iPod has a firmware dependent limit of songs.. So if you can't use it those 500 gigs are useless... Just a bit sceptical. But I'd be the first in line to upgrade my 5.5G

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I filled 160g classic iPod and it took me years of music harvesting and I don't think I have anything more to put in there. Besides you can play it without even having to repeat the same song months on end. That's some serious storage. Let alone filling 500g with music only ......

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
I don't know about you, but I have left only 6.7GB out of my 80GB video ipod. And I haven't even tried to fill it. I still have the Balance DJ Mix series to add and lots of classic rock stuff from 60-80s era. I mostly have best of 2010-2012 music covering all the genres plus my favourite music of 00s. The high capacity ipod is the true music lover/collector gagdet. You have to be one to trully understand it, in my opinion.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Obvious Shuttle avoided

I read many esoteric issues of little consequence to most readers but the basic issue of "how do I view music or how do I delete
music from the shuffle" seems to be without any answer at all.
iTunes 11 absolutely does not permit it and unlike a common thumb drive, contents seemingly cannot be viewed.
Can anyone imagine a computer that has a hard drive that does not permit you to view contents and does not permit you to delete any file???????? Would anyone buy it? What would be the thinking behind that computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.