Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Any RoR developers perusing the forums? I have just been accepted to the Dev BootCamp (www.devbootcamp.com) and am a little nervous about taking the plunge. Anyone out there with some advice for an aspiring ruby developer as well as any experience/thoughts on this particular program?

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I spend a good deal of time during my day job working on rails apps. I've never heard of dev bootcamp but it sounds like something worthwhile. I just quickly looked at their website and it looks like they do hit all the important topics, some of which unfortunately are probably not taught in college.

The best way to learn ruby and ruby on rails is to jump in and start playing around with it. The first step is to obviously set your Mac up. Install xcode and the command line tools. OSX still comes with ruby 1.8.7. I suggest installing Ruby Version Manager (https://rvm.io) and using that to install the latest version of ruby (1.9.3), rails and any other ruby gems you need. rvm is a useful tool since it allows you to install ruby/rails/gems all in your own home directory without messing up the system. It also allows you to install multiple different versions of ruby and gems and gives you the ability to seamlessly switch between them for different projects.

The next step is to get a basic understanding of the Ruby language. I suggest googling around for some basic ruby tutorials. Play around with "irb". If you haven't already, pick a text editor (I use vim) and learn it well. When you're ready for Rails, go to http://guides.rubyonrails.org and start reading their beginner guides. Pick an easy web app to make and make it (don't forget writing tests).

At some point, you should start playing around with the developer tools that come with most web browsers. Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Show Develop menu in menu bar. Right click on a web page and click "Inspect Element". Start playing around and learning the tool. It's what you'll use to do things like debug JavaScript, play around with CSS, inspect network traffic between your app and the server, etc.

Don't be nervous. Have fun with the program. Nothing about web app development in general is necessarily really hard. It's just a lot of stuff and a lot of different technologies to learn. It'll all come with time.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Thanks mslide. I'm already pretty familiar with github and have RVM and brew installed on my machine. I've been reviewing the Michael Hartl tutorial (http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book?version=3.2) and it has gotten me moving on how the framework fits together with CSS and HTML content.

I've signed up for the Dev Bootcamp and will start in April (earliest date). I'm pretty stoked about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.