Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
What happened to all of the old articles that were in the main RSS feed's queue a couple of days ago? I was back on page 4, but now the only page that is available is the first one, and that only has about 25 articles on it. Can the old articles be put back on the feed somehow? I would really appreciate it if this problem could be resolved.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Our feeds have only ever contained the 25 most recent articles, at least for as long as I can remember. 10-25 items is a pretty standard range for feeds.

RSS readers will store feed entries to give you a longer history if they're able to check regularly, but if you've lost that history, a fresh feed load will give only 25 articles.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
I'm Confused…

Huh, that's weird; I don't ever remember having lost the feed history that my copy of Safari had stored before…I've always had at least fifteen pages of a hundred articles to click through at the bottom of the feed's list. Could resetting Safari ('Safari' menu -> 'Reset Safari') have done it?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're using an older (pre-Mountain Lion) version of Safari with built-in RSS?

I don't have an older system around to check for sure, but yes, I assume resetting Safari would delete that history.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
You're using an older (pre-Mountain Lion) version of Safari with built-in RSS?

I don't have an older system around to check for sure, but yes, I assume resetting Safari would delete that history.

Oh, well that's great. And, speaking of Mountain Lion, my family's in the midst of migrating our accounts from an external RAID 1 array of two 500-gigabyte hard drives that's still running Leopard to a replaced internal drive running it. If you want to know why Mountain Lion's on a replaced internal drive, then, yes, it crashed. It managed to take Leopard, an administrative account, a custom guest account, and all installed applications out of commission until we were able to recover as much that data as we possibly could using Disk Warrior and merge it with the external drive, which, back then, held only five or six Leopard accounts. After that, we were obviously able to get a new drive and install Mountain Lion on it by downloading the OS installer on another computer and burning it to a blank DVD. As such, I was wondering if I made a good choice in setting up a Feedly account and downloading the Feedly extension for Safari in order to create redundant RSS functionality that will take over when everybody's on Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.