Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
Anyone have good results running this game with this GPU? I see it on GOG.com for $11.99 and wondering how well the game will run with high display settings.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
Wow, really? Nobody? I ended up DL it anyways. Wasn't able to play on "ultra spec", I have a Late 2012 iMac 27" 3.4GHz 16GB RAM GTX 680MX. I had to select "high spec" and boded well so far. Not sure why this computer cannot handle the "ultra spec". Anyone have any luck? Great game by the way, well, at least when the kids aren't whining and fighting.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Wow, really? Nobody? I ended up DL it anyways. Wasn't able to play on "ultra spec", I have a Late 2012 iMac 27" 3.4GHz 16GB RAM GTX 680MX. I had to select "high spec" and boded well so far. Not sure why this computer cannot handle the "ultra spec". Anyone have any luck? Great game by the way, well, at least when the kids aren't whining and fighting.

check the 680MX Benchmark thread in the iMac sub forum, I remember people there talking about it. Ubersampling should be off when you play in Ultra, that feature is supposedly too much for even high end desktop GPUs in SLI.

And btw, do you play in OSX or Windows? I'm completely new to iMac and had been away from PC gaming for many years, but Windows allows for a way better gaming performance, just make sure you use the 310.70 drivers for the GPU.

As for the game, I just finished Witcher 2 a couple of months on Xbox, loved the game as well : )

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand

Barely anything can handle 'ultra' when it comes to that game. It's one of the most demanding games around when run at full details.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Just got it today from Steam (75% off, yay) and it runs... well surprisingly unwell. I think some updated drivers or optimizations for the new GPU might be required before it can run as "it should" (if we're talking numbers and comparisons to other cards). It runs well on low/medium though.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Generally mac versions of games require higher specs to begin with. Never mind the fact that this game takes a lot to push the highest specs.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Generally mac versions of games require higher specs to begin with. Never mind the fact that this game takes a lot to push the highest specs.

Thank god there is bootcamp : ) The Witcher 2 is an amazing looking game either way, even in low settings. I had seen people even playing it on Mac Minis.

For the 680MX equipped iMac the Witcher 2 shouldn't be a problem, if there were, it had to be the drivers. I'm playing Far Cry 3 in native 1440p with high settings, and it runs smooth as butter.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Tried it in Parallels with the 680MX and the performance is much better, so looks like some new drivers for OS X might indeed be in order.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Tried it in Parallels with the 680MX and the performance is much better, so looks like some new drivers for OS X might indeed be in order.

Bad ports blame on bad drivers...
So many games run well on OSX, there is no reason why this shouldn't except bad porting.

I play this game on high setting in win7, but in osx i get like 10-15 fps on low..
Other new games runs perfectly well

Rytter

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
I've installed The witcher 2 and I get like 45-55 fps on high setting with 1080p and something like 30 fps on native 1440p high setting.
I have the 310.70 driver.

Feels like quite low numbers, or is The Witcher 2 just very demanding?

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I've installed The witcher 2 and I get like 45-55 fps on high setting with 1080p and something like 30 fps on native 1440p high setting.
I have the 310.70 driver.

Feels like quite low numbers, or is The Witcher 2 just very demanding?

Very demanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.