Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm wondering whether to upgrade to Fusion 5.

I run a Win 7 64bit VM using Fusion 4 on a 2009 MBP running OS X 10.8.

It does not run too badly, but improvements in the impact of the VM on the host system would always be welcome (i.e. lower cpu/battery usage, less spinning beachballs in OS X whilst the VM is running).

If you have upgraded from Fusion 4 to Fusion 5 have you noticed much impact on these things?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
They offer a trial version, so you can see for yourself. Personally, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade (on a Mid2010 MBP). In fact, version 5 was subjectively slower than Fusion 4.

You may want to think about getting an SSD which will help a lot in terms of virtual memory performance and should significantly reduce the amount of beachballs you see. Putting the virtual machine on a separate volume would also be advantageous. (I'm assuming you've maxed out the RAM already)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
FWIW, I have found that if you run 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit, you'll get a lot better performance. 64bit windows REALLY wants 4GB of RAM.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
They offer a trial version, so you can see for yourself. Personally, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade (on a Mid2010 MBP). In fact, version 5 was subjectively slower than Fusion 4.

You may want to think about getting an SSD which will help a lot in terms of virtual memory performance and should significantly reduce the amount of beachballs you see. Putting the virtual machine on a separate volume would also be advantageous. (I'm assuming you've maxed out the RAM already)

Thanks for input.

How much of a nuisance is it downgrading from a trial version to an old version? Obviously the software is no problem, but what about the VM itself? My assumption is that it would be a nuisance, hence asking here prior to deciding whether to bother with the trial.

Getting an SSD is not something I am going to do just yet. I will be switching to a new, SSD equipped, machine later in the year or next year so keeping funds for that. I would need a 500 GB SSD.

----------

FWIW, I have found that if you run 32 bit windows instead of 64 bit, you'll get a lot better performance. 64bit windows REALLY wants 4GB of RAM.

Didn't think about that. Has this opinion come from just a couple of VMs....or many more?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
How much of a nuisance is it downgrading from a trial version to an old version? Obviously the software is no problem, but what about the VM itself? My assumption is that it would be a nuisance, hence asking here prior to deciding whether to bother with the trial.

You're asked whether you want to upgrade the VM, which would make it incompatible with prior versions of Fusion. It's not something you're forced to do though, and you can always 'downgrade' it again at a later point, if I remember correctly (under Settings -> Compatibility). You'll probably want to keep a current version of the VM as a backup though, just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.