Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000

How do I tell Siri where I work?

Yesterday I told Siri to remind me to do something when I got to work. She replied "What time do you want me to remind you? (By the way, I don't know where your office is)". I tried saying "How can I tell you where my office is?" but she didn't understand.

How do I do it?
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Try saying the address? Seems like the obvious solution, doesn't it?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502

Put your office location in your contacts by itself with a label of office or work. Or associate it as office or work like you do with wife and kids and such.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Try saying the address? Seems like the obvious solution, doesn't it?
No, you need to add it under your contact info as 'Work'. Then Siri will know where you work.

EDIT* Ninja'd.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
dotme
macrumors 6502a

Create a contact for yourself. Add a street address, label it Work. (Add another, "home" if you want her to know where home is for you)
dotme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Rubo Draco
macrumors regular

Have you tried dropping a Pin on Google Maps and label it as "Work"?
Rubo Draco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:07 PM   #7
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Siri, I work at 123 Maple Street, New York, New York.
JRoDDz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:54 AM   #8
Bob Sanders
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
Siri, I work at 123 Maple Street, New York, New York.
I love when people post inaccurate information without reading the thread. Add it to your contact card and tag the address as "work."
Bob Sanders is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Diveflo
macrumors regular

has anyone managed to add a second work/school address?
I tried to tell it where my university is, tried to label it as "school", "university" etc. but Siri always tells me it doesn't know my school address :-(
Diveflo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:22 AM   #10
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
I love when people post inaccurate information without reading the thread. Add it to your contact card and tag the address as "work."
It said it can't make changes but opened up my contacts app to edit.

Last edited by JRoDDz; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:27 PM   #11
HarHo
macrumors newbie

Having the same problem!

I cannot get Siri to recognize my work address. I have tried/done the following things:

1. Put my work location in my contact info, clearly labeled as "work."

2. Tried telling Siri that my work location is <stated my work address.> Response: "I cannot change your contact information."

3. Told Siri my work address and asked her to find it using maps. This worked, so clearly Siri recognizes the address exists.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, other than calling Apple telephone support. If anyone else has figured out a work around, please post!
HarHo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Kubus
macrumors regular

Are you in the US? I assumed it didnt work for me because Im in Canada and Siri is slightly crippled here.
Kubus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:19 PM   #13
HarHo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubus View Post
Are you in the US? I assumed it didnt work for me because Im in Canada and Siri is slightly crippled here.
Yes, I'm in the US.
HarHo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:23 PM   #14
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

You can tell it anything is anything.....so save your work into your contacts and just say I work at [work name]. That should work...ill try later. I was able to tell Siri who my mother was very easily. I just said, [mothers name] is my mom. It said would you like me to add [name] as your mother, I said yes, now it knows.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:49 PM   #15
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Are your contacts on Outlook or exchange? I found that if I use iCloud's contacts (sync'd to IP4s) and have my info marked as "ME" it works just fine.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:57 PM   #16
HarHo
macrumors newbie

Solution!

Okay, everyone, I just got off the phone with Apple support and we figured out why Siri wasn't working for me.

In my work address, I included my office room number (I work at a university, so this is required for proper mail delivery) on one of the "street" fields. Thus my address looked like this:

Street field 1: 3400 xxxxxxxx St.
Street field 2: MH338
City: xxxx
State: IN
ZIP Code: 46xxx

I deleted the MH338 and that did the trick! If any of you who are having this problem have a suite number, room number, or other such thing in one of your street fields, this may be the problem.

Also, to those who say that telling Siri "I work at . . . " will fix the problem, it definitely will not. Siri will respond by showing you the address on a map OR by saying "I cant make changes to your contacts. You can do it in the Contacts app, though." Siri seems to be able to define relationships this way, but not locations that relate to you (that is, your home address, your work address, etc.) For those, Siri seems to rely on information in your contacts.

Ain't new technology fun? ;-)
HarHo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:02 PM   #17
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHo View Post
I cannot get Siri to recognize my work address. I have tried/done the following things:

1. Put my work location in my contact info, clearly labeled as "work."

2. Tried telling Siri that my work location is <stated my work address.> Response: "I cannot change your contact information."

3. Told Siri my work address and asked her to find it using maps. This worked, so clearly Siri recognizes the address exists.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, other than calling Apple telephone support. If anyone else has figured out a work around, please post!

This should work.

The problem might be that Siri doesnt know who YOU are.

Settings - General - Siri - my info.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:03 PM   #18
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Okay, everyone, I just got off the phone with Apple support and we figured out why Siri wasn't working for me.

In my work address, I included my office room number (I work at a university, so this is required for proper mail delivery) on one of the "street" fields. Thus my address looked like this:

I deleted the MH338 and that did the trick! If any of you who are having this problem have a suite number, room number, or other such thing in one of your street fields, this may be the problem.

Also, to those who say that telling Siri "I work at . . . " will fix the problem, it definitely will not. Siri will respond by showing you the address on a map OR by saying "I cant make changes to your contacts. You can do it in the Contacts app, though." Siri seems to be able to define relationships this way, but not locations that relate to you (that is, your home address, your work address, etc.) For those, Siri seems to rely on information in your contacts.

It is very weird that it says, I can't make changes to contacts, yet it is able to add mother, father, wife to your contact....lol
gentlefury is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:03 PM   #19
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Quote:

Oh. Nevermknd the. Funny bug. Thanks for the share.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:47 PM   #20
cathlabnurse
macrumors newbie

I am learning Siri and learning my new iPhone4s. I moved up from the 4. I love forums and reading about others and appreciate all the help others give. Hope to bring a positive to the forums

Love the iPhone
cathlabnurse is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
bananabond
macrumors newbie

i tried everything on this thread but still doesnt know where i work. it knoews where i live when i tell it to remind me when i get home but not when i get to work
bananabond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:51 AM   #22
whatseansaw
macrumors newbie

Use the map

Hello,

this was driving me potty and then I found a fix. Launch the new maps app and navigate to your place of work/home. Press and hold over the address that's yours and a pin will appear. Click on the pin label '>' and add it to existing contact - your own.

Then, open the address book contact for yourself and if necessary finess the building number and/or the post code info and then ask Siri. This worked for me. Bizzarely, friends with work/home addresses in the same city as mine seem to work fine but I had to do this for myself. Odd.
whatseansaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:16 AM   #23
coldrick
macrumors newbie

A bit difficult in the country

We live on 100 acres, and the house is roughly in the middle of it. My address is indicated by the maps app as being at the road, which is quite a distance from the house. If I try a drop a pin method, the address supplied is a general one, including all of the river valley we live in.

Haven't experimented with reference to "home" in Siri, but it should be interesting. What a fun toy!

Regards,
David
coldrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:47 PM   #24
syltrem
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Thanks for this HarHo !!! Worked for me.
Btw you can still add the room number if you precede it with a comma on the 1st address line for example :
Street field 1: 3400 xxxxxxxx St., room MH338
That's how I have it now.
syltrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier