Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Risco
macrumors 65816

Code sharing and promos - Should need a post count to view

Every time I got in that section, I see a promo offer and all the damn codes are gone! Can a post count limit be made for accessing that section. At least this will stop the lurkers.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

you could but... if people lurk on here to get free codes then thats just sad.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Why not use Forum Spy to track when new posts are made in that forum? Codes are first come, first served. You snooze, you lose.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

You can also Subscribe to that forum, and you'll receive an email when the thread is posted.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:00 AM   #5
robbieduncan

Maybe it should be like the Marketplace and require 500 posts. Of course then the OP would not see it...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

... and half of the codes must go to Demi's

just keep it as it; its a free gamble. Sometimes win, mostly loose, ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 01:26 AM   #7
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

I agree with the OP, codes should only go to members who can access the Marketplace. Make it a benefit of being a contributing member of the site. Like the OP, I've seen Guest vultures swoop in and snag codes. They don't have the courtesy to post which codes are taken and they rarely, if ever, give helpful feedback to the dev.
Tilpots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Maybe it should be like the Marketplace and require 500 posts. Of course then the OP would not see it...
Well I have two weeks off, I am sure I can spam... I mean make some informative and educational posts to get me to that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
... and half of the codes must go to Demi's

just keep it as it; its a free gamble. Sometimes win, mostly loose, ...
I do, but just ain't quick enough on the trigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
I agree with the OP, codes should only go to members who can access the Marketplace. Make it a benefit of being a contributing member of the site. Like the OP, I've seen Guest vultures swoop in and snag codes. They don't have the courtesy to post which codes are taken and they rarely, if ever, give helpful feedback to the dev.
Yup, be nice if something could be done.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

It NEEDS to be done.

If you look at who's viewing those threads, it's mostly newbies who have no posts, or people who barely are active here. So they're getting something for free and not even bothering to give back to the community. It's not fair to the people here who are actually interested in giving feedback, and its not fair to the developers who rely on code sharing in order to make their apps better.

Another thing is that marketing scammers will sign up just to steal these codes in exchange for people doing their paywalls. Set up a page on Facebook, get tons of moronic users to "Like" and give them codes in exchange for them doing a survey to get them 15 cents. So the scammers benefit from having access to all these codes just by signing up to MR.

The whole thing is a lottery sure, but you have to think about the developers mainly.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:38 AM   #10
maflynn

Unless I'm misunderstanding the topic (and that's happened before). If we set a post count restriction, wouldn't we be blocking a lot of developers from providing the very codes that members are hankering for?

Many developers have low post counts as they come here to promote their apps and do not interact outside of that promotion.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:49 AM   #11
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Many developers have low post counts as they come here to promote their apps and do not interact outside of that promotion.
I know it would add some burden on the mods but could be a kind of verification be possible and check that a developer is legitimate by just clicking his iTunes link ? Could be even automized ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding the topic (and that's happened before). If we set a post count restriction, wouldn't we be blocking a lot of developers from providing the very codes that members are hankering for?

Couldn't their "Vendor" status allow them access? Or create a "Developer" status?
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:34 AM   #13
maflynn

Quote:
Couldn't their "Vendor" status allow them access? Or create a "Developer" status?
Yes it possible, but it seems like a lot of work for one sub-forum and only to restrict access to established members. I think we run the risk of seeing less promo codes if we establish more restrictive policy. Just my $.02
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes it possible, but it seems like a lot of work for one sub-forum and only to restrict access to established members. I think we run the risk of seeing less promo codes if we establish more restrictive policy. Just my $.02
The number of app offerings could decrease, but probably not. The quality of interaction and feedback between dev and member would almost certainly increase. That in turn should make it an incentive for an exclusive area. Win-win for both groups that matter.

The current system sees a dev give a limited number of codes to the forum-at-large for advertising and improvement purposes only to have a guest swoop in, swipe the code and gives neither back in return. Who does this benefit? Not the dev and not the member, for sure. The only party to benefit is just some drive-by guest.

It doesn't have to be that way.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:22 AM   #15
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Screwed again. A dev posts 6 promo codes an hour and 20 minutes ago. All are gone and only 2 reported taken by forum members. It's frickin ridiculous. This BS needs to stop. Could we please get one of the mods to give a ****?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:26 AM   #16
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Screwed again. A dev posts 6 promo codes an hour and 20 minutes ago. All are gone and only 2 reported taken by forum members. It's frickin ridiculous. This BS needs to stop. Could we please get one of the mods to give a ****?
It's an honesty system...I agree if you take a code you should have the decency to post it as taken....Unfortunately, not everyone is inclined to do so. I can't really see the value of post count requirements either as they are likely to deter the vendors, who also tend to visit simply to promote their new app.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:30 AM   #17
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
you could but... if people lurk on here to get free codes then thats just sad.
I thought people had to be registered to see that section of the forum but I am probably wrong. Lurkers do indeed grab a lot of the codes.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:43 AM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16991791

Quote:
UPDATE: (At least) another 5 codes have already been used by 5 ungrateful fellows: 4 from US, 1 from Singapore. Next time, I will think twice before offering more free promo codes.
... The rest were taken, without anyone posting that they did take them.

Honestly, MR is going to lose developers if they don't do anything about this.

Most developers post their codes in exchange for some feedback, reviews, and to get the word out about their app. What's the point if none of that is going to happen? People are just grabbing them up in just a chance they might stumble on it later on to use/play.

Sure, it's a hassle to verify developers, but it would be good for both users and developers alike to put some restrictions in place.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback