Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
There's plenty of massive open source projects that have enormous install bases. Linux would be pretty high up one in that list. There are far more Linux servers than desktops so don't get hung up on how many people have Linux installed on their personal computer. There's millions of servers out there running Linux.

I'm aware of all those Linux servers chugging away out of my sight, and I've read some ATM's are also running Linux (For a long time they were mostly running IBM OS/2 - and some still are, while many run customized version of Win XP Pro).

However I was specifically referring to consumer-installed (including pre-installed Linux), where I believe FFox would far outrank Linux in terms of number of "elective" users. Mozilla claims 450 million users and between 20-24% of browser use world-wide. Desktop Linux is estimated at between 1-4.8% of the PC market by various metrics according to WikiP.

And I specifically excluded Android as the parts consumers mostly see are Googleware - and all the skins, overlays and forks piled on by OEM's.

It is true, however, that Mozilla depends on corporate sponsorship. As detailed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Affiliations with the bulk coming from keeping Google as their default search engine.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Hey, 25 GB of free and so far uncensored storage, and it's syncing between my home Mac, the Work windows laptop and my iPad? Yes, one please :D

How do you get 25GB for free? :confused:

----------

I've never ever understood this attitude. Okay, other browsers have download managers. So? Does this mean because it's been done with another browser that Firefox should never ever implement it....ever?

It's like the idiotic arguments I heard when iOS got notifications. "Android has had that for a long time". So what. It's a good feature and I'm glad they put that in.

That attitude is quite rampant on many tech sites.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
If you had a hotmail account before a certain date, I forget exactly, you got 25GB free.

Forever.

I think there may have been several paths to this. I don't have a Hotmail account, but I was an early user of Windows Live Mesh. When they rolled it into Skydrive I got my 25GB.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think there may have been several paths to this. I don't have a Hotmail account, but I was an early user of Windows Live Mesh. When they rolled it into Skydrive I got my 25GB.

Ah, s it was pretty much having a Microsoft account in general?

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Any chance the new Firefox 20 is causing kernel panics?

A client of mine has a pretty clean iMac Core 2 Duo with 10.6.8 that started kernel panic-ing about two days ago. They can't think of anything they changed. Hardware extended test is clean.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Firefox has a big ole bug in it. When you shut it down completely and try to open it the next day, it tries to reopen the old session. I've used Firefox as my browser for years and I've never experienced this. It's annoying as hell and I can't figure out how to make it stop:mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Firefox has a big ole bug in it. When you shut it down completely and try to open it the next day, it tries to reopen the old session. I've used Firefox as my browser for years and I've never experienced this. It's annoying as hell and I can't figure out how to make it stop:mad:
Doesn't happen on the machines that I've tried it on. Seems like a setting that got set somewhere and was saved. Check the settings for Firefox and see what it's set for as far as startup in the general section.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I have used Firefox as my default browser since 2009 and always updated each time a new version was available. This open tab problem just started with version 20 and has never happened before. I've not changed a single configuration in the startup menu. It's still to open to my Comcast start page

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks, but these responses are 2 years old and I prefer not to monkey with settings that have proven not to be a problem until the current version of Firefox. Hopefully Version 21 will rid me of this bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, but these responses are 2 years old and I prefer not to monkey with settings that have proven not to be a problem until the current version of Firefox. Hopefully Version 21 will rid me of this bug.
The same settings still exist so nothing related to it needed to be updated in the last couple of years. It's just a change of one particular setting mainly. Nothing major at all (and it can be changed back easily). Certainly better than having that "bug".

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is a known issue with Firefox 20. It ONLY occurs when you close ALL windows first and THEN quit Firefox. When you restart, it will give the "Oops" message about restoring a session. If you quit Firefox with even one window open, it will not happen when you start Firefox. This ONLY happens with OSX since Windows quits when you click the close window button whereas in OSX Firefox keeps running in the background (and you can quit from the dock afterwards). Many of us close all the windows and only quit Firefox once in awhile (often from the dock) so that's why some people notice it and others INSIST it doesn't exist (because they quit from the menu). From what I've read, they already have a fix for it and it should appear with the next release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is a known issue with Firefox 20. It ONLY occurs when you close ALL windows first and THEN quit Firefox. When you restart, it will give the "Oops" message about restoring a session. If you quit Firefox with even one window open, it will not happen when you start Firefox. This ONLY happens with OSX since Windows quits when you click the close window button whereas in OSX Firefox keeps running in the background (and you can quit from the dock afterwards). Many of us close all the windows and only quit Firefox once in awhile (often from the dock) so that's why some people notice it and others INSIST it doesn't exist (because they quit from the menu). From what I've read, they already have a fix for it and it should appear with the next release.
Interesting. I've been able to reproduce this finally--the trick is the multiple windows part and closing them all before quitting. I guess for me (and probably many others) this kind of behavior is fairly unusual since I mostly stick to one window with multiple tabs in it, and (whether or not I might have a single or actually multiple windows) if I'm quitting I just quit without closing all the windows prior to that.

That said, even with this issue, all I get is one tab with the error message and an option to restore the old tabs or simply to close that session restore tab--I don't automatically get all my previous tabs/windows reloaded on their own right away. Certainly not the expected behavior and essentially a bug, but it's far from being severe or really annoying I'd say.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Certainly not the expected behavior and essentially a bug, but it's far from being severe or really annoying I'd say.

Sometimes it restores here and sometimes it gives the error. Either way, it's not a major bug. It's an annoying bug (for some of us). My mother has a Macbook Pro but isn't a big computer user. It was driving her crazy. Obviously, people who use Windows a lot and are used to the close window button also closing the program are going to tend to do that more often than people who have mostly used Macs. I simply like Firefox to come up faster (i.e. no delay if you just close the windows and leave it running, but it can start to eat memory over many days so I do quit once in awhile and that's when I notice it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.