Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I don't think Disney Digital Copies were upgrading from SD to HD prior to DisneyMoviesAnywhere. Other studios may have, but Disney wasn't.

As for other benefits of DMA, I think a big one is that prior to DMA, you had to choose which service you wanted to redeem your Disney movies with. For me, that's iTunes, but you could also choose Vudu, Amazon, Google and others. But you were limited to just one service.

With DMA, you get to choose iTunes/Vudu/Amazon/Google in addition to DMA. Here's the kicker, DMA includes iTunes, so you can redeem Disney movies with DMA, iTunes, and one of the other three (Vudu/Amazon/Google).

This is great for folks with multiple ecosystems.

Can you straight out buy Disney Movies off DMA ? and then get your Itunes/Amazon copy too ?

If so are they mostly the same price as the they would be on Itunes (around $19.99) ?

Do they have any vaulted movies available for purchase ?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Nope. At least, US and UK codes doesn't work with iTunes NZ so I doubt that they'll work.

You could create a US account, but you won't be able to use any of the "iTunes in the Cloud" features such as redownloading purchases because Apple restricts those features to one account per computer. It seems to use the computer's serial number because even reinstalling OS X doesn't unlink the account.

Not sure that is true. I have redownloaded purchase from a US and UK account without problems. I just have to switch accounts; both cannot be active at the same time.

If you have a US code just open a US iTunes account.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not sure that is true. I have redownloaded purchase from a US and UK account without problems. I just have to switch accounts; both cannot be active at the same time.

That's interesting; when I try to redownload something from my US account it tells me that the computer is already associated with my NZ account and that I have to wait X days before I can switch accounts. I get the same message even when booting from a different installation of OS X.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That's interesting; when I try to redownload something from my US account it tells me that the computer is already associated with my NZ account and that I have to wait X days before I can switch accounts. I get the same message even when booting from a different installation of OS X.

Hmm. I regularly switch between a US/UK and Austrian account with no issues. I wonder if others have the same issue?

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Can you straight out buy Disney Movies off DMA ? and then get your Itunes/Amazon copy too ?

If so are they mostly the same price as the they would be on Itunes (around $19.99) ?

Do they have any vaulted movies available for purchase ?

Looking at the app on the iPad, it has links to buy the movies in iTunes. Vaulted movies are not available for purchase, though they are added to your collection if you already own them. It also gave me a digital copy of Prince Caspian when I first signed up with the app/service, pulling the info that I owned the DVD from the Disney Movie Rewards website (at least I don't think I had a digital copy of it before, and if not it did at least upgrade it to HD).

I believe you also get bonus rewards points by buying through the iTunes links in the app.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Has anything improved in terms of digital copies (non-UV) being bundled with films/shows sold via Amazon.co.uk?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
that is a bummer - I think this happened with the dreamworks movie puss in boots too - can anyone who either bought puss in boots from iTunes or used digital copy code confirm?

I realize this is old, but I just bought a Puss In Boots 3D Blu-Ray (only went 3D last August) and it came with a digital "code" and disc and iTunes redeemed it, but gave me a crappy SD copy and it's not registered for streaming (i.e. worthless garbage as I can just rip/encode the Blu-Ray if all I want is a local copy). The 3D disc is dated 2013. I didn't realize digital copies on blu-rays discs sucked so much just 5 years ago.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I realize this is old, but I just bought a Puss In Boots 3D Blu-Ray (only went 3D last August) and it came with a digital "code" and disc and iTunes redeemed it, but gave me a crappy SD copy and it's not registered for streaming (i.e. worthless garbage as I can just rip/encode the Blu-Ray if all I want is a local copy). The 3D disc is dated 2013. I didn't realize digital copies on blu-rays discs sucked so much just 5 years ago.

I’m sure it already technically expired as well.

Disney upgraded all “disc” codes (aka XML) from SD to HD a few years back but have not done that in well over a year.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It did show up for streaming, after all (from AppleTV Gen2-4K), but not in my Mac's iTunes library as such. It's still just SD, though.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It did show up for streaming, after all (from AppleTV Gen2-4K), but not in my Mac's iTunes library as such. It's still just SD, though.
Puss in Boots is Dreamworks, right?

All of my older digital copies that were originally redeemed in SD changed over to HD, regardless of studio. I definitely know that I had Disney, Dreamworks and Fox titles that converted (Princess and the Frog, Turbo, and The Wolverine).

I think what you have to do is delete the file that has already downloaded (move it to trash) and then re-download by pressing the "cloud" button. As long as your iTunes is set to download the HD file (which I assume it to already be set at), you'll get the proper file.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Puss in Boots is Dreamworks, right?

All of my older digital copies that were originally redeemed in SD changed over to HD, regardless of studio. I definitely know that I had Disney, Dreamworks and Fox titles that converted (Princess and the Frog, Turbo, and The Wolverine).

I think what you have to do is delete the file that has already downloaded (move it to trash) and then re-download by pressing the "cloud" button. As long as your iTunes is set to download the HD file (which I assume it to already be set at), you'll get the proper file.

I just tried that. Sadly, it didn't work. It's still just SD. Maybe it was a one time thing for the upgrade? I've already made my own local digital file (Handbrake), but an HD cloud streamer would be useful when at a relative's house or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.