Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
I need to get a bigger (or additional) external hard drive, mainly for backups and storing family photos and videos. It would be nice to have a Time Capsule for wireless backups using Time Machine, but 1) we don't need 2TB of storage and 2) $299 (or $249 refurbished) is more than I'd like to spend for an external hard drive, especially since an additional 500GB drive would do us just fine.

Are there any alternative setups to the Time Capsule that would allow us to use Time Machine via WiFi? I've heard that it's not possible to use Time Machine with an external drive connected to a wireless router via USB. Is that true? Are there other solutions?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Some Network Attached Storage (NAS) systems support TimeMachine. All would support external storage. A server computer would also work (it does for me). If you already have a wireless router these might be less expensive than a TimeCapsule (if you can find a good price or buy used). If you need a wireless router a TimeCapsule is still probably the best buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.