Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
Just had a question that hopefully someone could answer for me about CCC.
I was wondering, once you copy your drive can you pull individual files over from the back up disk to another iMac? I'm wanting to back up my old iMac and move the individual files over to the new one.(So I can get the new one organized at my own pace).
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just had a question that hopefully someone could answer for me about CCC.
I was wondering, once you copy your drive can you pull individual files over from the back up disk to another iMac? I'm wanting to back up my old iMac and move the individual files over to the new one.(So I can get the new one organized at my own pace).
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Yes, you can. The files on your CCC backup are exactly like those on your internal drive. You can access individual files/folders and copy to any other drive you have access to.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, you can. In fact, at least in my case, you have to up the attention level to make sure you are copying from/to the right places.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A CCC "clone" is like any other volume. The files are in POFF (plain old finder format) -- nothing "extra" is needed to view or copy them.

You can also boot from a CCC backup of your internal drive...

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I love this app - I used an old clunky 500gb western digital external as my clone target. It's nice to be able to test by booting it.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
CCC is great because it is a bootable clone of your drive. I feel it falls short because it is much weaker in storing older versions of files. In my priority order... I want the following:

1) Offsite cloud backup - safe,secure, automatic and offsite
2) Time Machine - local, fast backup... great versioning control
3) CCC - bootable backup.

In that priority order.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.