Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
furycd001
macrumors member

Linking a button or image to a url...

HI everyone

How would I go about linking a button or an image to a url in xcode / interface builder :?

Basically what I would like to do is have a button or image within an app on my mac desktop, that whenever clicked it will take me to a specified hardcoded url. All the tutorials I have found online refer to creating IOS based apps. Any help would be appreciated & sorry is this is a dead silly question...

[ 13" MacBook, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, Ver 10.9.2 | Ipod classic | iPod touch | Iphone 4, 16 GB, Black ]
furycd001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 02:31 AM   #2
larswik
macrumors 65816

What have you tried so far that didn't work?
Old May 11, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
furycd001
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larswik View Post
What have you tried so far that didn't work?
I haven't really tried anything because I am unsure of what to connect the button to. I have though tried following some tutorials though they were iphone based, so I new they wouldn't work.

Someone on a programming irc channel told me to try the following...
Quote:
Try creating an action handler in the script object, then connecting the button to the newly created handler. The code in the handler will check to see what button was pressed, then it will take the appropriate action.
If this would work how would I go about creating an action handler ??

Sorry but I am relatively new to programming & still learning. Your help will be much appreciated.

[ 13" MacBook, 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, Ver 10.9.2 | Ipod classic | iPod touch | Iphone 4, 16 GB, Black ]
Old May 11, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
iOS and OS X are pretty darn similar... I would suspect that you can follow an iOS tutorial for this task to the t for an OS X app and end up with the same app (but for OS X, of course.)

Edit: Well, the code for opening the URL might change... Try just hooking up a button to an IBAction that NSLogs the URL first. Then you can look into opening a URL on OS X.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by furycd001 View Post
Basically what I would like to do is have a button or image within an app on my mac desktop, that whenever clicked it will take me to a specified hardcoded url.
I'm confused. Which is it? You want an icon on your desktop that you can double click to go to a specific URL, or you want a button within an app that takes you to a URL? Those are two different things.

If the first, simply drag the URL from Safari to the desktop. Automator maybe another simple option for this tactic.

If the second, look at using the openURL: method of the NSWorkspace.
Code:
   NSURL * mtDotCom = [NSURL URLWithString: @"http://www.morphedthoughts.com"];
   [[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] openURL: mtDotCom];
Old May 12, 2013, 03:51 AM   #6
furycd001
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

No I don't want an icon on my desktop, I was just either going to use a button or an image for the link in my app (i've decided on button). Thank you for the snippet of code, I will give that a whirl & see what happens. I will also try IBAction too...

Old May 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
xStep
macrumors 68000

That snipet of code will work well within an action method. That is how I tested it.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
furycd001
macrumors member

Thank you for your help, I got everything working :-)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming