Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Now it appears that many apps that we're iPad-exclusive in the past are now also available on the iPhone. Are there any apps now that flaunt the advantage of the ipad's bigger screen with iPad exclusive apps? I can only think of many newsstand subscriptions. Any more? Thanks for sharing!

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I don't see why the need for resentment that previously iPad-exclusive apps are now available for iPhone. the fact that they were made for iPad first means that the apps are optimized for the larger screen, and then adjusted for smaller screens after the fact.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I don't see why the need for resentment that previously iPad-exclusive apps are now available for iPhone. the fact that they were made for iPad first means that the apps are optimized for the larger screen, and then adjusted for smaller screens after the fact.

Er sorry, I am not resenting this at all. I am just wondering whether other than newsstand, are there even a sizeable number of iPad-exclusive apps available? That actually make an iPad much more useful in its own category?

Last edited:

perpenso

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Exclusive or actually redesigned for the iPad?

Are there any apps now that flaunt the advantage of the ipad's bigger screen with iPad exclusive apps?

Exclusive or actually redesigned for the iPad? Speaking as a developer, in my non-game applications I do *not* simply scale the existing iPhone user interface up to the larger screen. I actually try to make new use of those additional pixels and this has led to some features only being available when running on an iPad. I may be biased but I think this would count as iPad exclusive.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
...I do *not* simply scale the existing iPhone user interface up to the larger screen. I actually try to make new use of those additional pixels and this has led to some features only being available when running on an iPad. I may be biased but I think this would count as iPad exclusive.

What he said. If you don't have an iPhone, when you load a "universal" app on your iPad, you may not realize how different it as compared to running it on an iPhone. Being new to iPads, but having had an iPhone for over a year, I've been very pleasantly surprised by this.

You might be able to get some sense of this by looking at a universal app in the iTunes store on your computer (important); first looking in the iPhone section, then the iPad section.

Regards,
Tom

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've also seen many universal apps that have different layouts for the iPad vs the iPod/iPhone.

For some free apps that you can see the difference:
  • NBC
  • NPR Music
  • IMDb Movies & TV
  • BBC News
And remember holding an iPad horizontal versus vertically will make a difference in how the above apps present themselves.

Apps don't necessarily need to have an iPad specific version. They just need to have proper layouts for both iPods/iPhones and iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.