Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So I downloaded a podcast from the web that I normally do. I brought it into iTunes and it won't let me change the media type to Podcast.

I go to "Get Info" "Options" and pulldown the pulldown menu to podcast. I go to another file, come back and go back to options and its set to Music again.

Anyway know of a way to change this now?

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Podcasts are a mess since Apple introduced the Podcasts app. They are trying to move all the podcasts out of iTunes and into that app. If you want it to work the old way, you have to delete the podcasts app and then troubleshoot from there.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Podcasts are a mess since Apple introduced the Podcasts app. They are trying to move all the podcasts out of iTunes and into that app. If you want it to work the old way, you have to delete the podcasts app and then troubleshoot from there.

I had no problem with it w/the old iTunes. I would simply go in, switch the type to podcast and would be able to play it with the podcast app.

That is all I want to be able to do again.

petrol

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
download a free programme called Typecast from red-sweater dot com.

It switches files into podcasts and puts them back into itunes.

Trimmode

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
If PODCASTS is greyed out when you want to change a music file to a Podcast in iTunes 11, the workaround I found is:

Right click / option click on the item and "convert to AAC file". This new file can then be changed to a podcast.

You will have to delete the older version (usually .mp3). And if you have iTunes match, you might have to delete it a "second" time because iTunes seems to try and hold onto it as a cloud based version.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Not fixed for me in iTunes 11.0.1. I have a podcast that I downloaded. It's an mp3 file. I imported it into iTunes. The media kind option is greyed out. It can't be changed at all.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not fixed for me in iTunes 11.0.1. I have a podcast that I downloaded. It's an mp3 file. I imported it into iTunes. The media kind option is greyed out. It can't be changed at all.

Do you have write permissions for that file? That's not typical behavior.

wieger54

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Been an issue way before...

I had an issue with video podcasts that I was trying to import to iTunes. No matter what I did iTunes would change it to Music. I noticed that the "video" icon would vanish as well. Which meant I would only get audio only when played on my iDevices, but for some reason would play video and audio on the Mac.

I did a total wipe of the podcast and then re-imported them back to iTunes. Which seemed to work 50% of the time.

My final soultion was to make them TV shows instead. Which worked out better because I don't have to deal with that Podcast App.

You can do a search on the Apple Support Communities. You'll find a lot of people complaining about their items being labeled something different after importing into iTunes. I've seen some topics started back in 2005 and 2006. So this isn't something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.