Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
you know what.

I've run all my movies through ivi with the Apple TV3 and iTunes presets checked. Outputted files are all h.264 with stereo audio listed first and 5.1 listed second. I imported ALL my movies into iTunes on my Windows 7 Desktop and EVERYTHING showed up. Everything is streaming nicely with my Apple TV3.

I just finished building my Windows Home Server 2011 and installed the newest version of iTunes (same version as my desktop). I moved my movies from my desktop onto the server and begin adding them to iTunes. iTunes on the server is not seeing or adding all the movies to my library. :mad::mad::mad: The files are not corrupt as they will open with VLC on the server and play just fine. What could possibly be the problem?

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Add: The movies not being added to my iTunes Server also have no problem being added or played to iTunes on my Macbook Pro.

PodPacker

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Windows

Sometimes you can have issues copying files larger than 2GB from Mac to PC. Do you have "Keep iTunes media folder organized" checked under Advanced Prefs? That could be the culprit. Turn that off and try again. Is your "Home Sharing" set up properly? You could have a Windows firewall blocking your iTunes (M$ loves to block you from doing fun stuff on peecees).

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Sometimes you can have issues copying files larger than 2GB from Mac to PC. Do you have "Keep iTunes media folder organized" checked under Advanced Prefs? That could be the culprit. Turn that off and try again. Is your "Home Sharing" set up properly? You could have a Windows firewall blocking your iTunes (M$ loves to block you from doing fun stuff on peecees).

After running the movies through ivi on my Mackbook they were copied over the network to my Desktop. Again, everything played fine on my desktop. Once on my desktop, I copied them to a large external HDD and copied them from there to my server. There was no Mac to PC transfer without first checking the movies.

I've tried adding with "Keep iTunes folder organized" and without. I've dragged them into iTunes, I've "opened file" in iTunes and iTunes is still rejecting some movies.

Home Sharing is not in play yet. I need to get the files into iTunes on the server before Home Sharing would do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
How about just copying over the library files from your MBP to your server? If the files are on a network storage, nothing would have to be changed, and if not it's super easy to replace all the location data with the Find and replace function in any text editor...

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
OP, are you running iTunes from an active desktop session or as a windows service? Also do you have the 64bit version of iTunes installed, as WHS2011 is a 64bit OS. Failing that try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes or try an older version of iTunes. I use iHomeServer on my WHS2011 box to run iTunes as a service so I don't need to be logged into the box to use it. iTunes can also give you problems if it detects that your system has no soundcard, which most servers don't.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
OP, are you running iTunes from an active desktop session or as a windows service? Also do you have the 64bit version of iTunes installed, as WHS2011 is a 64bit OS. Failing that try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes or try an older version of iTunes. I use iHomeServer on my WHS2011 box to run iTunes as a service so I don't need to be logged into the box to use it. iTunes can also give you problems if it detects that your system has no soundcard, which most servers don't.

Yep, iTunes 64 bit installed. I'm running the actual iTunes application from the active desktop. I have it in my startup folder so it automatically starts when I'm logged in. I tried iHomeServer and hated the interface. I want to be able to manage the server from my Macbook Pro, and Lion does not support running the WHS Dashboard. I'm using Remote Desktop to manage my server on my MacBook Pro. It's not the best way to do it, but it serves my purpose.

Oddly enough my the motherboard, CPU, and RAM that I used to build this server was my old desktop. The MB has 5.1 surround sound built in, but no on-board video. It turns out the cheap $10 video card I bought did not have up to date drivers and was listed as a Generic Video device in Device Manager. I updated the drivers and WHS now sees it correctly as 8400GS. That also seems to have fixed my iTunes problem. I am now able to add the movies that were not being added before. I'm not sure what iTunes was using to "flag" them as non-compatible, but everything is working now.

Note to self: iTunes needs up to date display drivers.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
when i built my little xp server for my moms itunes i had to install quicktime to get her movies and such to transfer into itunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.