Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No surprise there, Apple has always been good with battery life.

Now if we could get them back on top of the capacity game...

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
yeah but nexus 10 is the same weight as ipad 2 with a higher res screen than ipad 4. Depends if you find the ipad 3/4 weight intrusive

nexus 7 is smaller so it has a smaller battery but is pushing a higher res screen.

battery time for those nexus tabs is very acceptable. Good job

cant say the same about the nexus 4 - battery looks terrible hope they can fix it. (lasts about half as long as iphone 5)

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I've never understood why some people are so interested in comparing specs of products they don't intend to buy. What if the competing brand "won"? Would people suddenly decide to ditch ios despite it being their preferred ecosystem?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
yeah but nexus 10 is the same weight as ipad 2 with a higher res screen than ipad 4. Depends if you find the ipad 3/4 weight intrusive

nexus 7 is smaller so it has a smaller battery but is pushing a higher res screen.

battery time for those nexus tabs is very acceptable. Good job

cant say the same about the nexus 4 battery looks terrible hope they can fix it. (lasts about half as long as iphone 5)

Just my 2 Cents - the Nexus 10 is lighter than the iPad 3/4, yes... But only by about 2 US Cents (AKA pennies - but the USA doesn't have "pennies" they're officially Cents)
It's higher res, yes... But only by about 100x100 pixels...
Nexus 7 has a higher res screen, yes... but only by about 120x100 more pixels...

I can do this all day.
Nexus wins on spec, but not in real-life usage. My nexus 7 can't go for more than 2 days of light usage, but I still get 3-4 days of light usage on my 3 1/2 year old iPad 1.

Nexii are decent devices, but they can't hold a candle to Apple products.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Just my 2 Cents - the Nexus 10 is lighter than the iPad 3/4, yes... But only by about 2 US Cents (AKA pennies - but the USA doesn't have "pennies" they're officially Cents)
It's higher res, yes... But only by about 100x100 pixels...
Nexus 7 has a higher res screen, yes... but only by about 120x100 more pixels...

I can do this all day.
Nexus wins on spec, but not in real-life usage. My nexus 7 can't go for more than 2 days of light usage, but I still get 3-4 days of light usage on my 3 1/2 year old iPad 1.

Nexii are decent devices, but they can't hold a candle to Apple products.

i think you need to look up how much stuff weighs.

im sure those wifi nexus owners will struggle by with higher res screen, gps, NFC and more memory. All the while paying 70% less

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

im sure those wifi nexus owners will struggle by with higher res screen, gps, NFC and more memory. All the while paying 70% less

What? I think you need to look up 2 things - the first being grammar, and the second being features of a product.

The iPad 3 is 652 grams, the Nexus 10 is 621. A US Cent is 6 grams. So perhaps 5 pennies instead.

The WiFi Nexus 10 does not cost 70% less, it does not have more memory (it has more RAM - but it's much less effective in using it), it does not have true GPS and it might not have NFC (not sure... but who cares about NFC in a tablet - You're going to use a 10 inch tablet as your wallet? Go ahead)

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
I've never understood why some people are so interested in comparing specs of products they don't intend to buy. What if the competing brand "won"? Would people suddenly decide to ditch ios despite it being their preferred ecosystem?

Seems like you are making broad assumptions.

What makes you think I don't intend on buying a nexus tablet?

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

Should people stop comparing products and just buy products blindly?

----------

Cost 70% less?

So if the iPad 4 16GB is $499, the Nexus 10 16GB must cost $149.
So if the iPad Mini 16GB is $329, the Nexus 7 16GB must cost $99.

Come on. Wake up.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

I've own 2 android tablets and both have horrible battery life. Less than half of that of my iPad.

You linked an article link with battery numbers and zero questions or statements so you can't act surprised when nobody knows what your point is. You know how you stop people from making broad assumptions? You actually express what your intention is in the first post.

So, is your intention REALLY to discuss your next Android tablet? If it is then start asking questions because those are both fantastic tablets for Android fans. But if your intention is to prove superiority of the iPad then all you're doing is encouraging pointless negativity against a product that most people here have no intention on buying.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

----------

Cost 70% less?

So if the iPad 4 16GB is $499, the Nexus 10 16GB must cost $149.
So if the iPad Mini 16GB is $329, the Nexus 7 16GB must cost $99.

Come on. Wake up.

Was talking about the nexus 7

UK prices

Nexus 7 32GB 3G = £249
Ipad Mini 32GB 3G = £449

That's a 80% increase on price so i actually underestimated the difference.

Nexus 7 wifi 32GB = £199
Ipad Mini wifi 32gb = £349

Thats a 75% increase on price and you dont even get gps with the ipad mini.

Come on. wake up.

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

Likewise, and I completely agree - I buy the products that suit my needs at the time, and reviews are an important part of that process.

I love my Nexus 7 because of what it gives me for $199. But, if the battery life were significantly worse than it is, or the screen were blurry, or the CPU were underpowered, I'd not have weighed the cost as much and likely would not have bought it. The fact I didn't buy this iPad Mini (yet) doesn't mean I won't buy the next one.

It's ridiculous to take the stance that X product line is always better than Y product line, and then to cherry pick things to support that. In the case of tablets, there are clear advantages to a number of different lines, and it's up to the individual consumer to decide which product meets his or her needs at a given time.

BTW, I think the 7 is a steal. I'm not as enamored with the 10, because I'm not convinced saving $100 is worth not having the iOS experience in a tablet of that size. So, while I'll defend buying a 7 over a Mini, I'd equally defend (were I in the market) buying an iPad 4 over a Nexus 10. Blind loyalty is pointless.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
You linked an article link with battery numbers and zero questions or statements so you can't act surprised when nobody knows what your point is. You know how you stop people from making broad assumptions? You actually express what your intention is in the first post.

So, is your intention REALLY to discuss your next Android tablet? Because if it is then start asking questions. But if your intention is to prove the iPads superiority then whats the point when everyone here already knows it?

Don't be silly. Why does it matter what my intentions are? You think I just post this info for myself?

I post the info for everyone who is interested, regardless of what my intentions are.

You just went out of your way to make broad assumptions about everyone on this forum who might be interested in battery life data comparing the iPads and Nexus.

If you don't care, don't bother posting on this thread.

----------

Was talking about the nexus 7

UK prices

Nexus 7 32GB 3G = £249
Ipad Mini 32GB 3G = £449

That's a 80% increase on price so i actually underestimated the difference.

Nexus 7 wifi 32GB = £199
Ipad Mini wifi 32gb = £349

Thats a 75% increase on price and you dont even get gps with the ipad mini.

Come on. wake up.

You still are not paying 70% less. ;)

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
As much as I don't love my Nexus 7, I don't find the battery life to be poor. Not enough to be a reason not to purchase (if you ignore all the other stuff!)

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
You still are not paying 70% less. ;)

Well now i've made it clear as long you agree its a 70%+ increase on price thats fine with me. :)

----------

What? I think you need to look up 2 things - the first being grammar, and the second being features of a product.

The iPad 3 is 652 grams, the Nexus 10 is 621. A US Cent is 6 grams. So perhaps 5 pennies instead.

The WiFi Nexus 10 does not cost 70% less, it does not have more memory (it has more RAM - but it's much less effective in using it), it does not have true GPS and it might not have NFC (not sure... but who cares about NFC in a tablet - You're going to use a 10 inch tablet as your wallet? Go ahead)

according to wiki the nexus 10 weighs 603 grammes. Ipad 3 650grammes. Would you like a 3rd try on how many cents the weight difference is?

As stated in my previous post the Ipad mini is 70%+ more expensive than nexus 7 in the UK.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Well now i've made it clear as long you agree its a 70%+ increase on price thats fine with me. :)

Just pointing out that you are wrong about Nexus costing 70% less.

The Nexus 7 is a good deal.

Too bad you are paying 60% more for the Nexus 7 than us Americans. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.