Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I just sold all my DSLR gear ( Nikon D7000 & Sony A77 - 18-250 ) My wife and I felt that to carry all this gear around and to take photos that we really never did anything with was kind of a waste of energy and $$.. WE just purchased a boat and needed the $$ for that so we figured to down grade to ONE P&S top of the line camera.. We looked at the Nikon p7700 and it seemed to be nice quality and used on for a few hours and it seemd to take GREAT photos running against the A77 Dslr.. Almost hard to tell the difference between the photos with the 2 camera viewing them on a Apple Cinema 30" Display! But we returned the P7700 cause it had a couple of dead pixels on the LCD. We also returned the A77 to Sony ! So now we have NOTHING! ANY help would be appreciated! I also looked at the Canon G1X it felt a bit heavy compared to the p7700 .. Im looking for a camera that has a nice Optical zoom and GREAT Photo quality! Thanks for any input!!!

Last edited:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
You've sold your Nikon D7000 & Sony A77 but haven't said your budget…

The RX-1 is the "ultimate" point and shoot, but it is $2800.

I would take a look at the Sony RX100 (review, review, review). It is much more compact than the Nikon p7700 (see camerasize.com comparison), but is equipped with a more capable sensor and optics.

DSC-RX100_Transparent-664x595.jpg

The Nikon uses a small 1/1.7-inch sensor (7.44×5.58 mm), whereas a the RX100 uses a 1" sensor (13.20×8.80 mm). The RX100 also has a BIONZ chip, just like your A77.

Sony NEX 5R/6 wit the 16-50 pancake zoom will also be very compact. Of course the NEX system is APS-C, like your A77. So they will go toe to toe with an DSLR for performance:

NEX-6_wSELP1650_hand-hero_gallery_post.jpg

Of course there are other mirrorless options as well - the best being the Micro Four Thirds system from Panasonic and Olympus. Fuji's system is good, but they don't really do any zooms.

Last edited:

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Budget is around 600.00 ... I looked at the NEW Canon G15 looks very close to the P7700 but has a fiew things I liked better.. ( View Finder, No Lens cap, and NO moveable screen.. Pain in the neck to open the screen EVERYtime u want to use the camera and the tiny lens cap on the P700 is a pain as well.. I think im leaning towrads the G15.. The reviews are saying the canon has a faster lens as well.. Thanks Guys..

Somepix

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Beauce, Québec
I use a G12 for a year now, and own an aps-c DSLR. The G12 is ok, but :

- slow (compared to any dslr)
- small sensor (i. e. less dynamic range and more noise than dslr)

I would not go smaller than aps-c

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I think im leaning towrads the G15.. The reviews are saying the canon has a faster lens as well.. Thanks Guys..

I would really take a look at the Sony RX100, especially as it is close to your $600 budget. It is more compact than the Canon G15 as well (see camerasize.com comparison), but is equipped with a more capable sensor and optics. The RX100 to have a faster glass than both the Nikon P7700 and Canon G15 (after adjusting for sensor size).

G15 (1/1.7" sensor) 28-140mm (F8.3-12.9)
P7700 (1/1.7" sensor) 28-200mm (F9.3-18.7)
RX100 (1" sensor) 28-100mm (F4.9-13.4)

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
The RX100 to have a faster glass than both the Nikon P7700 and Canon G15 (after adjusting for sensor size).

G15 (1/1.7" sensor) 28-140mm (F8.3-12.9)
P7700 (1/1.7" sensor) 28-200mm (F9.3-18.7)
RX100 (1" sensor) 28-100mm (F4.9-13.4)

and as we all know the aperture remains the same with any sensor size, but the debth of field does not, therefor that is complete bull ****.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
and as we all know the aperture remains the same with any sensor size, but the debth of field does not, therefor that is complete bull ****.

Yes, the aperture remains the same with any sensor size, but providing the 35mm-equivalent aperture range gives you some idea of the control over depth of field offered by each camera.

All figures taken from the dpreview.com G15 hands on preview.

We get it, you like Sony.
I don't think the Canon or Nikon models are bad, but they are very much nice refinements on what has come before, whereas the RX100 is a category redefining product that raises the bar considerable in terms of what to expect from a compact. Do you think the P7700 and G15 are empirically better products than RX100?

Last edited:

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I did look into the RX100, it all looked good on paper and loved the fact of the Large sensor.. There were a few things where the Canon and Nikon did better IMO.. The sony had a low zoom, came with NO battery charger and the battery is tiny and alot of people complained about the battery life! So I think im going to give the Canon G15 a try from B&H.. I had a G9 and and G10 in the past they were JUST ok beacuse of the sensors, but it seems like Canon stepped up with the G15.. The Nikon P7700 took great photos but the small lens cap was a pain and the articulating LCD was a pain..and no VF. where the canon is thinner because the LCD is fixed! Ill report back Thrus when the G15 arrives.. if that isnt up to par, Ill run to best buy and pick up the RX100..

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would highly recommend the Fuji X100. It is certainly a bit pricy but definitely worth it as a great high quality all around. If you think the G1x is too bulky, check out the S110. It is essentially the same camera with less buttons in a smaller package.

----------

I use a G12 for a year now, and own an aps-c DSLR. The G12 is ok, but :

- slow (compared to any dslr)
- small sensor (i. e. less dynamic range and more noise than dslr)

I would not go smaller than aps-c

I have a G12 myself and VERY rarely do I use it. Usually I either take my iPhone when I need something portable and my 5D when I need something professional. I have found little use for the G12 in between and find its overall quality severely lacking compared to others on the market today. 2011 was not the best time to buy a point and shoot. The market was in flux

----------

Pain in the neck to open the screen EVERYtime u want to use the camera
Most, if not all flip out screens allow you to turn the around and keep them faced out all the time

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Well, if anyone is still following this thread.. I picked up the Canon G15..
So far photos seem to be sharp and camera feels SOLID like a rock! Almost like military specs.. Thanks for eveyones advise!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1687.jpg
    DSCN1687.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 117

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Well, if anyone is still following this thread.. I picked up the Canon G15..
So far photos seem to be sharp and camera feels SOLID like a rock! Almost like military specs.. Thanks for eveyones advise!!!

congrats, hope you like it! :)

whoseawhat

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Rx100

No question.
The worlds best combination of sensor size, image quality, and lens flexability. Coming from someone who refuses to use anything less than a DSLR (or Leica M) for quality, if you told me I had to use a P&S I wouldn't even think twice before saying RX100.

If you really need a cheaper option, Panasonic LX7 is second best. Drop off after there is large.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Seriously, I would have went with the RX100 from Sony.

Bigger sensor, small body. That new fixed lens full frame is great too, but expensive. Sony is going to go small body with big sensors. That's what I'm getting with these recent releases. I have a feeling that's why they invested heavy in Olympus too - they make small bodies in which they give fit big sensors into.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
No question.
The worlds best combination of sensor size, image quality, and lens flexability. Coming from someone who refuses to use anything less than a DSLR (or Leica M) for quality, if you told me I had to use a P&S I wouldn't even think twice before saying RX100.

If you really need a cheaper option, Panasonic LX7 is second best. Drop off after there is large.

Both would be my absolute #1 and #2 choices.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
RICOH GXR/GRD4

The Sony is also quite nice.
These are for the advance P&S with lots of customization.

If not, the S110 is also pretty good as an easy to use P&S.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I just bought myself an RX100 - I was debating whether I should get the RX100 or the NEX6, but I wasn't really interested in buying more lenses and I really wanted something small. I was under the impression that these cameras were made in Japan, but to my suprise, mine was made in China...I guess it was first batch or so that was made in Japan. I also purchased the add-on grip (the RX100 it quite small and quite smooth) which I will hopefully receive before my trip in a few weeks.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I would highly recommend the Fuji X100. It is certainly a bit pricy but definitely worth it as a great high quality all around. If you think the G1x is too bulky, check out the S110. It is essentially the same camera with less buttons in a smaller package.

I would second the Canon S110. I have a previous version, the S90, and I love it. It opens up to f/2, so, for a P&S, it performs very well in low light. Also, it's not very big. It's certainly a bit larger than the really tiny P&S cameras out there, but it is definitely small enough to slip into a pocket. My wife and I pretty much always have this camera with us, using it when I don't feel like lugging around my dSLR. We also use it as an underwater camera by putting it in a Canon waterproof case. Great for snorkeling, rafting, etc. The only thing I don't like about the S90 is that it doesn't shoot hi-def video. The S110 does, though.

EDIT: Just read that you got the G15. Also a great camera. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.