Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old May 12, 2015, 02:12 PM   #101
simonsi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I'll get out the scales. 70-200 2.8+ 2xTC is about as heavy as I go. I was told by someone who used to work for Manfrotto it wouldn't really work with my gear. Let me know how it goes in the field and I'll see what Father Christmas brings!
D300s+70-200/2.8+1.7TC comes to about 2.5Kg by the spec sheets, I'm only going to use it for the 17-55/2.8 and 10-20 Sigma so I'll be nowhere near that even - and the desk test indicates quite stable at that loading.

Oddly the pic is showing right way up for me on OS X Safari but upside down on ios Safari...??? Never had that before to my knowledge...
simonsi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 04:08 PM   #102
azstinger
macrumors member

New Travel Bag?

Any suggestions for a backpack (sorry don't like single shoulder sling bags) that could store a D750, 1-2 lens, battery charger, and a few filters but still function as a normal day pack for touristy things? It seems like just about all the camera backpacks I have seen are purely dedicated to being camera bags. So looking for a bag that preferably has a quick side zipper but then room for snacks, maps, water bottles, junk my wife thinks is cute and I need to haul around for the next 8 hours haha.

I have a great dedicated camera bag so not interested in that.
azstinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 04:25 PM   #103
simonsi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by azstinger View Post
Any suggestions for a backpack (sorry don't like single shoulder sling bags) that could store a D750, 1-2 lens, battery charger, and a few filters but still function as a normal day pack for touristy things? It seems like just about all the camera backpacks I have seen are purely dedicated to being camera bags. So looking for a bag that preferably has a quick side zipper but then room for snacks, maps, water bottles, junk my wife thinks is cute and I need to haul around for the next 8 hours haha.

I have a great dedicated camera bag so not interested in that.
I got the Lowepro Photo Sport for exactly this usage:

http://www.lowepro.com/photosport

Side point would be that EVERY piece of Lowepro kit I have ever bought is still functional :-)
simonsi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 11:16 PM   #104
monokakata
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by azstinger View Post
I have an f-stop backpack that I totally love. I mention it because although I got the biggest insert it could handle, there are smaller ones -- they would leave room for the other stuff you need to haul. It's really well-made.

I got the Loka

https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/produc...acks/loka.html

with the Large Pro insert.

An unusual feature is that you get into it from the straps (back) side, not from the outer side. So, true, it's not a bag where somebody can open the main compartment when it's on you. Top (2 compartments), yes, and there's a shallow compartment on the outer back that could take outerwear (but not a lot of it).

With the insert out it could be a good daypack, but there are no compartments in the main compartment, so you'd have to stuff everything in there. It has a dedicated hydration pouch -- anyway, I love it. Fits in an overhead bin well, too. The last time I travelled I had a D810, 70-200 f/2.8, the 105, 14-24, a Marantz field recorder, Sony RX100, batteries, filters, charger, cables, etc etc.

Not cheap, but beautifully built, and with a small insert it might be what you're looking for.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 10:17 AM   #105
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

I am just a hobbyist and shoot family events, grandkids, vacations so do not have the needs of a pro. In the digital age I have had a Coolpix 995, D70, D300 and now have a D750. Over the years I have accumulated a number of accessories some are used more often than others.

Monopod w quick release plate - great purchase. Use it a lot and it is easy to pack in a suitcase. Good substitute for a tripod. Coupled with spirit level is very useful for panoramas.

The Pod - Bean bag with screw. Great for long exposures or time lapse.

GPS - Used occasionally but is useful. Phottix brand is much cheaper than Nikon and it works.

Spare battery - Always had a spare but now I can shoot video with the D750 I have three batteries.

Graduated ND - bought this with a Cokin system which is a pain to use. Now I simply hold the filter in front of the lens to position it.

White balance tool and grey card - never use them.

Rain cover - I had the Kata rain cover but unless you have one of those monster size lenses it is a pain to use. Recently bought a much cheaper Optex which is only a bit of a pain to use but works OK with more consumer size lenses - My largest is 70 -300 mm.

Rocket blower and Sensor cleaner - Once I started using more than 1 lens it was just a matter of time until I got dust on the sensor.

Fong flash diffuser - tried it, not very impressed, I just bounce the flash.

Fast card reader - As file sizes get larger, this is becoming more valuable.

Waterproof dry bag - If I am on a beach all day or on a small boat I wrap my gear in a towel and carry it in a waterproof dry bag. Helps protect it from sand and salt water. Also, depending on the weight, the bag bag may float but I have never had the balls to test this.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015, 07:08 PM   #106
Badrottie
macrumors 68040

Just bought Joby stuff and Len Hood last week.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8952.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	552296

Name:	Photo May 04, 12 46 55 PM.jpg
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	552298

Name:	File May 04, 4 25 58 PM.jpeg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	552299

Name:	Photo May 02, 7 15 25 PM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	552300
LG G Pad Grey 48GB AT&T
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015, 04:46 AM   #107
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

all my gear and accessories is in the link below, all kept in a tripod bag and pelican case's for easy transport.

Last edited by Mr.Noisy; May 16, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Mr.Noisy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Tags
camera advice, camera bags, filters, hoods, tripod