Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hello, I'm looking for a new graphics card for my 2009 Mac Pro (Quad). The only official card available from Apple is an ATi 5870 which is not only old but also ridiculously overpriced (453€), so that's not an option.
I need to be able to access the OS selection screen because I'm running Windows 8 via Bootcamp. It has to be OpenGL compatible for use with Photoshop, etc. I was thinking to spend around 300€. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Try a GTX 570 with a helper card, e.g. your current.

Or check out the brand new thread with the 7xxx cards from AMD, they are great for OpenGL

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You don't need boot screens in order to get to boot camp, you can do it after booting up.

But if you insist on having boot screen, these are your only options:
Official Apple cards
Flashed AMD or Nvidia PC cards

If you are going to use two cards as previously suggested, one for boot screen and one for speed, ensure you have enough power for both. You didn't mention what your existing card is.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
You really don't need a boot screen to switch OSes, as discussed here. Requiring a boot screen severely limits your options.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hello, I'm looking for a new graphics card for my 2009 Mac Pro (Quad). The only official card available from Apple is an ATi 5870 which is not only old but also ridiculously overpriced (453€), so that's not an option.
I need to be able to access the OS selection screen because I'm running Windows 8 via Bootcamp. It has to be OpenGL compatible for use with Photoshop, etc. I was thinking to spend around 300€. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Read up at Barefeats.com, he tested several of our cards.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thank you all for your responses! I know I can change OS after booting, but the OS selection screen is much more convenient, so I'd like to keep it if possible. My current card is an ATi 4870. How would the two cards configuration work? The display would be connected to the old card but the processing would be taken care of by the other? But then there's the power problem... And what about flashing? Is it stable?
Anyway, why do they have to make it so difficult?! There's no way I'm buying their stupid official card, so just let me put any card I want! With that pricing they can't be selling many... I know Apple is pricy, but there's got to be a limit! I mean, 450€ (!!!) for a three years old card that can be found for less then a fourth?! NO THANKS! That's a HUGE drawback for the Mac Pro, one buys it 'cause of its upgradeability and then can't even upgrade the graphics card... What happened to "it just works"?! We should bombard the Apple headquarters with angry letters... Don't know about you but these things make me reconsider a PC, if they don't change their policy they're gonna loose lots of pro costumers.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
No excitement here, at the most some hassle. I was just expressing my opinion on the matter, trying to put emphasis on how absurd it is that you cannot freely upgrade your graphics card in a computer specifically designed to be upgradable by a company which advertises its products as "just working" without having to rely on workarounds. Sorry about that.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
No excitement here, at the most some hassle. I was just expressing my opinion on the matter, trying to put emphasis on how absurd it is that you cannot freely upgrade your graphics card in a computer specifically designed to be upgradable by a company which advertises its products as "just working" without having to rely on workarounds. Sorry about that.

You are severely limiting your options if you require a boot screen, plain and simple. There are very few official EFI cards from Apple or third-party vendors, since the Mac Pro market is so small. Apple appears to be perfectly content to sell you technology from 3 years ago.

No boot screen means you can use a GTX 680 or dozens of other cards today, for example. Switching OSes without a boot screen is really, really not that hard.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

You can, you can go right to the Apple Store and buy a brand new 5770 or 5870 and upgrade away. You cannot do that with any other Mac. Your restrictions are self imposed. Just put a 660Ti in it keep the 4870 in a drawer and call it good there is no need for any angst.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I got myself a flashed GTX 570 from MacVideoCards, works like a charm, and because I don't need a helper card I can SLI later (for Windows, of course.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.