Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
just got a mini last night...excited to open up another apple product like always...then saw on the back of the mini some imperfections...marks etc...can't believe its there!...this is brand new..not refurb...i'm dissappoinmented in apple QA....my first ever apple product in 10yrs that has this prob...quality is everything to apple right? or going down hill now...btw, heard iphone 5 users are getting this poor quality too?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Well, you can't expect them to check every single individual iDevice for the slightest scratch. These parts go through a few hands before reaching the point where the thing is actually assembled. These things happen occasionally. I've yet to hear of anything widespread, just lots of the usual unhappy forum posts.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
just got a mini last night...excited to open up another apple product like always...then saw on the back of the mini some imperfections...marks etc...can't believe its there!...this is brand new..not refurb...i'm dissappoinmented in apple QA....my first ever apple product in 10yrs that has this prob...quality is everything to apple right? or going down hill now...btw, heard iphone 5 users are getting this poor quality too?

If this is the first time in 10 years that this has happened, that's pretty good quality control.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
The first two 16GB iPad minis I bought were perfect, decided to return one for a 32GB model, the third had a slight light leak so I returned it for a fourth which was perfect. now we have two iPad minis, one 16 one 32, both perfect.

Just return it, Apple will hand you a brand new one. If you return it to an Apple Store open the box and inspect it before you leave to make sure. Nothing to get upset about, these things happen and Apple will offer you a return with no hassle.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
If this is the first time in 10 years that this has happened, that's pretty good quality control.

I'm always amazed when people say that they haven't had problems with Apple quality control before. I've been buying Apple products since 1993 and I can't remember a product that didn't have at least some (minor or major) quality control issue at one time or another. The ipads seem to be unusually lacking in QC issues...but of course it's still a mass produced device that will have occasional production issues.

The good news is that Apple is great with replacements and will replace it for you...most probably without any questions. Not a big deal - get it replaced and enjoy the new one.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When I got my iPad mini I don't think I even looked at the back. Now it's covered in smudges and a couple small scuffs. I don't know if they were there when I bought it, but it doesn't bother me; the screen is flawless and thats the part I'm looking at when I use it.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
My first 16gb Ipad Mini was perfect--great color production, no defects whatsoever. I decided I wanted a 32, so I exchanged it and got one with brown splotches and some dirt under the screen. I did a warranty exchange on that one and got a brown boxed mini, which was flawless except having a remarkably pink tinted screen. Blacks didn't look black, whites were off, but the uniformity was good. It made reading text heavy sites like forums and blogs a headache, which is primarily what I do on my iPads. A jailbreak + color profile would have fixed it, but I didn't want to wait to rely on that for something I just bought.

I went in a few days after the exchange to return the 32 after trying to get past the pink. The lady was pretty cool about it and offered to grab new ones until I found one that worked.

The first one still had a slight pink cast, but was noticeably better than the last one, and actually better than all the display models they had out at the time. The retina 4 gens had the worst pink. This actually displays blacks and whites more to my eyes liking, so I walked out of there a happy camper.

It does seem like a lottery though. If I knew it was going to be like this, I would have just kept my 16.

All iPads I had didn't have any blemishes on the body, just maybe a few marks that rubbed out with my finger. I would have happily taken any marks / scratches for a perfect screen though.

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I haven't had any quality control problems with any Apple products that I've purchased. Had every model iphone, a couple of ipod nano's, numerious macbook/ibook/mac pro and imacs.

Reading your history here on macrumors, you got banned from amazon for returning too much apple stuff; so I smell a little bias here. I've also noticed your many posts complaining of display quality. Not to mention constant complaining of battery life, returns, etc.

Honestly, I think you have the same mental illness a girlfriend of mine in college had. No matter what she bought, she'd return it. If you gave her a gift, she returned it. If you gave her a gift card, she'd buy something with it and return that! Funny story, she once tried to return gas to the gas station.

Instead of constantly being disappointed, you should enjoy the things you have and learn to enjoy life. The things you buy are only objects in your life and obsessing over them will not make you happy.

I'm always amazed when people say that they haven't had problems with Apple quality control before. I've been buying Apple products since 1993 and I can't remember a product that didn't have at least some (minor or major) quality control issue at one time or another. The ipads seem to be unusually lacking in QC issues...but of course it's still a mass produced device that will have occasional production issues.

The good news is that Apple is great with replacements and will replace it for you...most probably without any questions. Not a big deal - get it replaced and enjoy the new one.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Good reply mizzouxc, but the OP has not been around 4 1/2 months now. Guess he just wanted to vent, than left for good. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.