Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
$100 isn't much on the 9.7" iPad, but $229 for the mini is significant. And adding it to Mobile Share would be a no-brainer.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
$100 isn't much on the 9.7" iPad, but $229 for the mini is significant. And adding it to Mobile Share would be a no-brainer.

Even if they do, wouldn't it be $359 for the 16 LTE? They definitely won't subsidize the Wi-Fi models.

Also why add it to mobile share unless you don't have a smartphone? You can tether it for free and not pay the extra $129 and $10 a month. You're using the same pool of data either way.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Even if they do, wouldn't it be $359 for the 16 LTE? They definitely won't subsidize the Wi-Fi models.

Also why add it to mobile share unless you don't have a smartphone? You can tether it for free and not pay the extra $129 and $10 a month. You're using the same pool of data either way.

You're correct, $359

Tethering wastes batteries on both devices at the same time

Sometimes I just want to leave the phone at home, or it's running out of juice already

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You're correct, $359

Tethering wastes batteries on both devices at the same time

Sometimes I just want to leave the phone at home, or it's running out of juice already

That's understandable. I always have my phone with me and multiple chargers so I opted for the tethering option. I couldn't justify the extra $129 just to use my iPad without my iPhone.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
If AT&T is subsidizing cellular based mini I just may take them up on their offer.

$100 off pays for almost half the $240 charge for keeping an iPad on your Mobile Share plan.

I agree with Yr Blues. I really don't want to tether. I like the idea of having my iPad GPS enabled for location, turn by turn and data access without requiring my iPhone.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
If AT&T is subsidizing cellular based mini I just may take them up on their offer.

$100 off pays for almost half the $240 charge for keeping an iPad on your Mobile Share plan.

I agree with Yr Blues. I really don't want to tether. I like the idea of having my iPad GPS enabled for location, turn by turn and data access without requiring my iPhone.

Isn't it $10/mo for a tablet on the mobile share plan?

How can you tether it for free?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Tethering is included in my plan at no extra cost. Also from my testing, speeds are very good. I get the same LTE speeds on my iPad as I do on my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.