Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcasound View Post
I think March is gonna be a good month.... LP10 will not have a 32 bridge - 64bit only. Waves is moving 64bit this month with V9 - Get ready ...
March? As in, this March? Not March 2013, right? Boy, I'd love for you to be right. I really do. Of course I mean no disrespect, but seeing as you have a newbie account on MR, I hope you understand that it's really easy to take claims like these with a grain of salt.

But if what you say is true, where are you basing your info on? Insider knowledge? The fact that a bunch of Logic Pro 10 book pre-orders have begun popping up over the net? I'm curious what makes you so sure it will be in March?
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air iPhone 6 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule OS X Yosemite iOS 8 Logic Pro X
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:52 PM   #27
fredoviola
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
???

I'm sorry, what am I missing? It says it's a free upgrade for present Mainstage owners. Why all the complaints? And I'm excited about the idea of Logic 10, but I really hope to God they don't change it too much. One of the biggest problems I've had with Logic is that songs created in older versions do not have rock solid, stabile mixes. Instruments can suddenly be blanked and odd things start happening in the mix. I've come to actually expect wonky behavior when new things are created in Apple apps. I just want them to make Logic never ever crash! And 64-bit only would suck because my favorite 3rd party plugin, Abbey Road Brilliance Pack and Mastering Tools, doesn't work in 64 bit mode.

Incompatibility sucks!!!!
fredoviola is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:32 PM   #28
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoviola View Post
I'm sorry, what am I missing? It says it's a free upgrade for present Mainstage owners. Why all the complaints?
It's only a free upgrade if you bought Mainstage for $29 from the Mac App Store.

Funny, though, that people who feel so incredibly ripped off at having to spend $29 can so easily dismiss "$50 M-Audio keyboards"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoviola View Post
And 64-bit only would suck because my favorite 3rd party plugin, Abbey Road Brilliance Pack and Mastering Tools, doesn't work in 64 bit mode.
Is their support/FAQ page wrong?

http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/support.aspx
Quote:
Do the Abbey Road plugins work with 64 bit systems?

Our internal tests on 64 bit systems have indicated the plugins are compatible. We have also received no reports from customers complaining of problems running the Abbey Road plugins on 64 bit systems.
__________________
Apple develops an improved programming language. Google copied Java. Everything you need to know, right there.
MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:01 PM   #29
petsounds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Logic 8 and 9 were paid upgrades but all the 9.0.x and 9.1.x updates (and there have been many of them including the addition of 64 bit support) were free downloads (and continue to be even after Logic is in the MAS). Anything is possible but I doubt Apple is going to start charging for minor updates to Logic, most likely paid at 10 and 11 with free updates in between.
Well, who knows? Up until MainStage 2.2, all MainStage updates were free with Logic Studio as well. I think this whole pay-twice thing is more about the way it *looks* than the way it *feels*. Apple should've given registered users of Logic 9 a free download of MainStage on the App Store to continue the upgrade cycle; I'm sure it's within their technical capabilities to do so. The fact that they didn't says a bit about how they view their professional users.

I assume that Logic 10 -- if it will exist -- will be App Store only. This is a bummer because it will make it harder to have multiple versions of Logic around in case some bug requires a downgrade for a task (and anyone who uses Logic knows this is pretty common). I have a feeling they're also going to require Lion (or Mountain Lion, if it takes that long), which would suck, but it seems like we're being pushed to Lion no matter how buggy it still is (the latest Xcode is Lion-only as well).
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:03 AM   #30
fredoviola
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
It's only a free upgrade if you bought Mainstage for $29 from the Mac App Store.

Funny, though, that people who feel so incredibly ripped off at having to spend $29 can so easily dismiss "$50 M-Audio keyboards"...


Is their support/FAQ page wrong?

http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/support.aspx
Yes, their support pages are evidently wrong. I literally just had this issue two weeks ago and found that the plugins would not show up when Logic was in 64-bit mode. I had a back and forth with their tech support and their work around was for me to work in 32-bit mode. So, yep, wrong.
fredoviola is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #31
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Well, who knows?
Yep, that's my point. We'll see what happens, it stinks that they are charging people who paid $499 for the logic box to get what are essentially optimizations and bugfixes, but I don't think it's an indication they're going to charge for every update of Logic and other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Up until MainStage 2.2, all MainStage updates were free with Logic Studio as well. I think this whole pay-twice thing is more about the way it *looks* than the way it *feels*. Apple should've given registered users of Logic 9 a free download of MainStage on the App Store to continue the upgrade cycle; I'm sure it's within their technical capabilities to do so.
Absolutely. At the same time they released MS and Logic on the app store they also released a free Logic update. Charging existing users for the MS update was purely a financial one, not a technical one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
The fact that they didn't says a bit about how they view their professional users.
I don't know if it really "says" anything or if they just decided to split off MS and handle it differently. If Apple really wanted to nickel and dime users they could have forced people to buy Logic on the app store to get the 9.1.6 update, which they didn't.

Apple could charge more frequently for Logic updates (paid 9.2, 10.1 etc). But they could do that whether it's on the app store or on disk (7.2 was a paid upgrade). I think some people are jumping to conclusions, reminds me of people freaking out that Logic would suffer the same fate as FCX regardless of how little evidence there was for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
I assume that Logic 10 -- if it will exist -- will be App Store only. This is a bummer because it will make it harder to have multiple versions of Logic around in case some bug requires a downgrade for a task (and anyone who uses Logic knows this is pretty common). I have a feeling they're also going to require Lion (or Mountain Lion, if it takes that long), which would suck, but it seems like we're being pushed to Lion no matter how buggy it still is (the latest Xcode is Lion-only as well).
Sure looks like MAS only. I think you can still keep older versions of the app, you just have to make a copy and set it aside before running an update (which is what you do now with Logic updates to keep older versions). I've done that with other MAS apps and been able to keep multiple versions no problem, the only issue for me has been MAS telling me updates are available after I have the latest version.

I think it will take long enough that it will be after the ML release or close to it, my guess is it runs on Lion and ML. At this point ML is looking like a nice improvement over Lion so I would think that people who have the hardware that supports it would want to run that.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:59 AM   #32
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a
 
OS X Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midlands, UK
Following my email to Apple about MainStage on the MAS not being free for Logic Studio owners, I received a call today from an Apple representative.

Long story short, they're investigating why it's a paid-for program in it's own right (and not a free update for current owners), and get back to me in a couple of days with an answer. The guy was neutral, but one can hope they do release it as an update as a result of a valid customer complaint (I also linked to this thread in the email).

Glass half-full, right?
OS X Dude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #33
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS X Dude View Post
Following my email to Apple about MainStage on the MAS not being free for Logic Studio owners, I received a call today from an Apple representative.

Long story short, they're investigating why it's a paid-for program in it's own right (and not a free update for current owners), and get back to me in a couple of days with an answer. The guy was neutral, but one can hope they do release it as an update as a result of a valid customer complaint (I also linked to this thread in the email).

Glass half-full, right?
Thanks for taking the initiative to inquire about this! Keep us posted.
NY Guitarist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:51 PM   #34
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a
 
OS X Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midlands, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Guitarist View Post
Thanks for taking the initiative to inquire about this! Keep us posted.
No problem, and I'll post back as soon as I get another response - whatever it turns out to be

Better someone tries to act on it than we all sit here bitching about it :P
OS X Dude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:48 PM   #35
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a
 
OS X Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midlands, UK
Well, the Apple associate finally got back to me.

He was very courteous, and he said based on his investigation it was a "marketing reason" that they charge for MainStage 2.2. Not sure what to read into that, but Apple are sticking to making Studio owners pay for the MAS upgrade.

__________________
Self-designed and custom-built Manson 'Android'
Fender Jaguar HH
PRS Bernie Marsden Singlecut
H&K TubeMeister 18 Head
OS X Dude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #36
fredoviola
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
It's only a free upgrade if you bought Mainstage for $29 from the Mac App Store.

Funny, though, that people who feel so incredibly ripped off at having to spend $29 can so easily dismiss "$50 M-Audio keyboards"...


Is their support/FAQ page wrong?

http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/support.aspx
Yes, what they have written there is wrong. I had a long back and forth with one of the tech staff and his last word was that Brilliance Pack does in fact fail installation, and in order to get it to POSSIBLY work you have to load it in an unorthodox way. He said they are working on fixing and could not offer a date as to when it would be completed.
fredoviola is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 01:49 AM   #37
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS X Dude View Post
Well, the Apple associate finally got back to me.

He was very courteous, and he said based on his investigation it was a "marketing reason" that they charge for MainStage 2.2. Not sure what to read into that, but Apple are sticking to making Studio owners pay for the MAS upgrade.

Interesting that they released the 9.1.7 patch for the shrinkwrapped version of Logic Studio as of March 27th, but no MainStage updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoviola View Post
Yes, what they have written there is wrong. I had a long back and forth with one of the tech staff and his last word was that Brilliance Pack does in fact fail installation, and in order to get it to POSSIBLY work you have to load it in an unorthodox way. He said they are working on fixing and could not offer a date as to when it would be completed.
The least they could do is update their compatibility page, but the last time I looked they still hadn't.
__________________
Apple develops an improved programming language. Google copied Java. Everything you need to know, right there.
MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Releases OneNote as a Free Mac App Store Download MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 225 Apr 16, 2014 08:21 AM
Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 23 Jul 25, 2013 12:56 AM
Apple Releases OS X 10.8.3 With Mac App Store Gift Card Camera Redemption and Boot Camp Enhancements MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 567 Jun 3, 2013 09:37 AM
Apple Releases MainStage 2.2.2 via Mac App Store MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 16 Oct 21, 2012 02:10 PM
Autodesk Releases 'Inventor Fusion' on Mac App Store MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 33 Aug 17, 2012 07:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC