Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
If you can have the money to purchase the cMBP but not the Retina (which will be moved down to the price point of the cMBP upon its removal), then you're in the financial situation where you really can't afford either.

Thank you

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Well if you say so, then you probably have access to inside information.

Because observing Apple's behavior the last year and a half, nothing indicates that we're about to witness a sharp price drop this year. According to your theory, the cheapest MacBookPro will be all Retina and cost 1.200 $ or 1.200 €, which is a 300 $/€ drop. Honestly I don't think so.

More likely, prices will go up again and we'll get fewer ports and non user upgradable RAM.
But hey, who am I to complain, the current non-Retina will then be cheaper as refurb...

No, based on past history. Whenever they've added a supplementary/new option which later becomes a standard, it initially comes at a premium. This has been shown with the 32GB iPod Touch 1st gen, the current design of the Mac Mini, the 128GB iPad 4th gen (if previous behaviour is to be an indication), and presumably with the Retina MacBook Pro.

These are just the few examples that immediately come to mind, so I feel quite confident that upon the removal of the cMBP, the rMBP will assume its predecessor's price point.

----------

Thank you

You're welcome :)

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
If you can have the money to purchase the cMBP but not the Retina (which will be moved down to the price point of the cMBP upon its removal), then you're in the financial situation where you really can't afford either.

That is a pretty elitist attitude.
$3-400 is not small potatoes to most people. ( I could buy a nice Moogerfooger pedal for that much!)
For example, a lot of folks might wait until they have a month where they get 3 paychecks (one on the 1st, one on the 15th and one on the 29th) in order to be able to put enough disposable income into a laptop that they intend to last for a while. Now I make enough that I can pick up a rMBP that way. But someone making a few grand less than me would have to settle for a cMBP, or else save up over successive paychecks.
Then there are also departmental budgets. I know at my job people really do sweat the diffrence in price over a $1100 laptop and a $1400 laptop, especially when you are buying 10!
Ironically, a little while ago we went the opposite direction. We actually bought a couple of the most expensive rMBP we could find so that it would exceed a certain budget threshold and draw from a different pile of money.
Corporations are weird.

Last edited:

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
agreed

If this is true 2013 is going to be even worse than 2012...
I have many colleagues in music and video in LA who love their 17" MBP with all the extras. We really hope Apple does another top of the line 17" for power users with 32 gb max ram, blu ray or at least DVD, 1tb SSD and ultra fast. There is definitely pent up demand for these. I will use mine Dec 2011 as long as possible. This a very loyal core group that will happily max out on spending 3 or 4 thousand to have the best for Pro Tools etc. These are not toys to listen to itunes with.

btharris781

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Yeah, okay.

Apple will launch new phones, tablets, and notebooks in 2013.

As you can see by my statement above I am a highly respected analyst who put great thought into my prediction.

You must be one of the smartest people I've ever seen on this forum; I had no idea new products we're coming out in 2013; how did you know?? It must be because "you are a highly respected analyst", right? Wrong- you're a clown act. Also, your cheaper iPhone prediction is complete trash, how on earth anyone could buy into this crap is just beyond me. Apple has never set out to make a "cheap and affordable" device, and they never will - because their products don't belong in that market segment. A very cheap and affordable product would undoubtedly risk damaging the company's hard-earned reputation for building the highest quality products on the market; maybe you should put a little more thought into your elementary and overwhelmingly amateurish predictions.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
You must be one of the smartest people I've ever seen on this forum; I had no idea new products we're coming out in 2013; how did you know?? It must be because "you are a highly respected analyst", right? Wrong- you're a clown act. Also, your cheaper iPhone prediction is complete trash, how on earth anyone could buy into this crap is just beyond me. Apple has never set out to make a "cheap and affordable" device, and they never will - because their products don't belong in that market segment. A very cheap and affordable product would undoubtedly risk damaging the company's hard-earned reputation for building the highest quality products on the market; maybe you should put a little more thought into your elementary and overwhelmingly amateurish predictions.

Thanks for the laugh. I am saving this post so I can occasionally go back and read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.