Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmason1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
I have a MacBook Pro and have been using Apple's Mail App for the better part of 4 years now with no issues (single account).

Bought a MacBook Air for my wife recently, running OSX 10.8.3. She uses the Mail App with two email accounts. One for personal use and one for business use. She is having problems sending emails (both email accounts are with Cox Communications - cox.net accounts). She had some funky SMTP settings, which I thought were the culprit, changed server name to: smtp.cox.net for her outgoing email. This seemed to be the fix as she did not have a problem for about 3 weeks.

Sadly the problem has returned. Nothing has changed from the settings update last made.

Settings are as follows:

Use default ports (25, 465, 587) selected
Using SSL with password authentication
Server name: smtp.cox.net
TLS Certificate: None

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks. :)

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Can't personally help you there but, since you mention your wife's computer is a new one, have you tried contacting AppleCare directly? All Macs come with a complementary 90 day phone support. Their customer service is really good so I'm pretty sure they might actually be capable of troubleshooting it for you. They sure did for me when my yahoo email account was acting a little wobbly.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Doesn't Cox usually require a SMTP server of smtp.east.cox.net? Or west if you're in that area.

Is she getting a specific error or are the mails just being sent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.