Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenerifeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Tenerife Spain
Please help me. This is probably a really stupid question/s

Using Toast 11 almost everytime I come to burn a video to DVD it tells me 'the TV standard is set to PAL but your content is NTSC do you want to encode'

Does this mean my imac stores my films as NTSC or I have downloaded the film in NTSC?

I know to convert is just changing the fps but I cannot find the option in Toast 11 to do that. So I have to encode and it takes forever.

Also if a highlight a film and 'get info' there is nothing there I can see that tells me if the film is PAL or NTSC, how can I find out?

Sorry one last thing that is confusing the hell out of me, when I click create a DVD to play on your DVD player in Toast it tells me up to 4 hours of playback but I thought you could only get 2 hours on a dvd-r ?

Many thanks for your advice.
Karl.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
the TV standard is set to PAL but your content is NTSC do you want to encode
I would imagine that it's influenced by the frame rate of your video. PAL uses 25fps and NTSC, 30 fps.

I've used both in iMovie, and also used the option to convert the 30fps to 25, and can't say that Ive noticed any difference.

Also if a highlight a film and 'get info' there is nothing there I can see that tells me if the film is PAL or NTSC, how can I find out?
If you can play the original clip in Quicktime, and open the Movie Inspector, that will tell you the frame rate.

Sorry one last thing that is confusing the hell out of me, when I click create a DVD to play on your DVD player in Toast it tells me up to 4 hours of playback but I thought you could only get 2 hours on a dvd-r ?
Is Toast set to Double/Dual layer dvd? That will give up to 4 hours.

TenerifeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Tenerife Spain
Thank You Dave very helpful.

I burnt a DVD yesterday that was 3 hrs 50mins and it was fine. But this was on a single layer 4.7gb dvd-r.

When you say double or dual layer dvd what does that mean? The dvd i used was def only one sided.

Many many thanks
Karl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.