Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Not build quality, quality control. The iPhone has the best build quality of any mobile device. This is also why the quality control is so poor because it's so hard to make.

Apple has actually made some major changes to it's manufacturing process to reduce issues if you read around.

I feel like it's both. The quality control has issues if it's letting all these problems through, but the problems would develop less frequently if Apple built it a bit better. From what I understand, Apple used fairly low grade aluminum and anodizing. I know I've had some devices with black anodized finishes subject to rather extreme excuse with barely any cosmetic damage.

I do wonder if the cost savings offset the number of exchanges they get.

----------

That's like asking why Kia or Hyundai cars are not as good as Honda or Toyota. It's not demanded, that's why.

Apple used to be considered the Mercedes or BMW of computers.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
That's like asking why Kia or Hyundai cars are not as good as Honda or Toyota. It's not demanded, that's why.
Sounds like you aren't familiar with any of Kia or Hyundai's recent offerings. It certainly is demanded for them.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Sounds like you aren't familiar with any of Kia or Hyundai's recent offerings. It certainly is demanded for them.

My 2011 Hyundai Sonota has much better build quality than my 2013 BMW 335i. The paint on the BMW is one of its worst aspects. Obviously the ride on the BMW is much better.

I guess it's all about profits these days. Apple could have spent a little more on materials, put in place better QA, etc. I for one would be willing to pay a premium for a premium device but the masses would probably not agree with me.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
every i5 i have seen come out the box has been flawless.. you just must be one of the unlucky ones OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.