Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snapcracklenpop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I'm a college student and I've recently sold my MBP to a family member of mine due to the fact that it was a little too much to carry with me all over campus. I'm very interested in the prospect of picking up an ipad to regain internet access on the go with the money I received for my sale. However, I'm torn between the 3rd generation ipad for 64gb and the ipad 4 32gb. On ebay, these are going for the same price, so the question comes down to performance and storage. I'm going to primarily be using this device as a basic laptop substitute, as I have a gaming desktop back in my apartment. I mainly wanted the ipad to download/view powerpoints and serve as notebook. I'll probably also put some music and TV shows on there, but not that much. I'm mostly going to cram it with pdfs and powerpoints and some media on the side. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks! :D Or better yet, should I compromise and purchase the mini (although the lower res display urks me a little bit)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i would get iPad 3 64GB then you would have plenty of space for all media and it would come in handy if you have big PDF files too

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
iPad 4 32 GB. Powerpoints/PDFs are small in size and you certainly wont be amassing 10's of GBs on them. The extra performance will give it more longevity.

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
i would get iPad 3 64GB then you would have plenty of space for all media and it would come in handy if you have big PDF files too

That doesn't make much sense. The 4 is significantly better for handling large PDF files compared to the 3 (i recently upgrade to the 4 and have 250-500mb pdfs that I regularly use). Get the newest model, especially since you would be paying the same amount.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
That doesn't make much sense. The 4 is significantly better for handling large PDF files compared to the 3 (i recently upgrade to the 4 and have 250-500mb pdfs that I regularly use). Get the newest model, especially since you would be paying the same amount.

If you have a lot movies on your device then it will soon fill up i have iPad1 full of movies on my devices.A 32GB device would soon fill up full of movies.Depending on your file format you have your movies then you would be lucky to get 10 films on a iPad 32GB Device that is out putting any apps on that would purely just films.Like the thread starter stated that he would be putting some Tv series on he's device then the extra space wouid come in handy for storing media.I don't know what file format he going to put he's Tv series he could be putting in them in high quality or low quality that question remains to be answered.So that why i suggested to get the 64GB version then he would be able to get plenty of media on the device and still be able to put plenty of pdfs on he's device.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
It sounds like the choice for you is the 32GB. Even if you were to eventually start syncing much more data to the device, it's simply a matter of syncing more frequently.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hi I'm a college student and I've recently sold my MBP to a family member of mine due to the fact that it was a little too much to carry with me all over campus. I'm very interested in the prospect of picking up an ipad to regain internet access on the go with the money I received for my sale. However, I'm torn between the 3rd generation ipad for 64gb and the ipad 4 32gb. On ebay, these are going for the same price, so the question comes down to performance and storage. I'm going to primarily be using this device as a basic laptop substitute, as I have a gaming desktop back in my apartment. I mainly wanted the ipad to download/view powerpoints and serve as notebook. I'll probably also put some music and TV shows on there, but not that much. I'm mostly going to cram it with pdfs and powerpoints and some media on the side. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks! :D Or better yet, should I compromise and purchase the mini (although the lower res display urks me a little bit)

Go for the iPad 4 with 32GB.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The iPad 4 will handle big PDFs and presentations better, the iPad 3 will hold more stuff. The iPad 4 also has faster WiFi. Choose accordingly.

Last edited:

snapcracklenpop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
If I do decide to dish out 700 for the ipad, and a new model comes out, what would the resale value be like? I haven't been researching the trends long enough to know.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Difficult to call, but I'd personally probably go with the fourth generation iPad. The A6 chip is a real powerhouse both in CPU and GPU terms. The CPU in the iPad 3 is fine, but the GPU is 'just enough', really.

Also, since new accessories will be made for the smaller (Lightning) dock connector the iPad 4 might be a better choice.

I'd go for an iPad 4, but hey, it's up to you.

And oh, resale value will - obviously - be higher if you take the newest model.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If I do decide to dish out 700 for the ipad, and a new model comes out, what would the resale value be like? I haven't been researching the trends long enough to know.

If you bought either an iPad 3 or an iPad 4, there'd be virtually no reason to go through the trouble of trading it in -- these are iPads, not phones!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
iPad 4 32 GB. Powerpoints/PDFs are small in size and you certainly wont be amassing 10's of GBs on them. The extra performance will give it more longevity.

Definitely. 32GB is obviously a decent amount of additional storage, but a little content management, some cloud storage, and you'll be fine.

I can't imagine buying a 3 over a 4 unless there was a major price difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.