Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Who is asking for a fix in one minute? In case you're forgotten, 10.8.0 shipped last July. If that's not enough time for Apple to fix it, they either don't care about the problem, or they lack the skills to fix it. As you pointed out, we don't know which of those two possibilities is the case, but neither one makes Apple look good.

Are you serious? Do you even know for how much time the problem exists? Have you been reading the forums? How many persons here said they can replicate the issue EVERY TIME and EVERY TIME the issue is with the same processes that fail to quit during shut down?

This is exactly the same as the issue with reduced performance on 15" rMBPs. It was there since forever but Apple only cared to fix it once people started seriously complaining. Once that happened, Apple took 15 days to solve the issue by updating the EFI. Maybe they were testing it for months. Or maybe the timing was a mere coincidence :rolleyes:

Like I said: you have no idea what you are talking about. Take a look at various bugs from various pieces of software. How many are fixed in 1 year and how many are fixed after more than 1 year? In most cases bugs will be fixed after 1 year, even security bugs. That's because finding, fixing, testing and rolling out takes a lot of time. If the problem lies in shutting down processes at shutdown time there might be some fundamental problems in the OS. In that case it means things will take much longer to get fixed because it is very very complex due to it relying on many other components which might get broken because of the fix. We've seen it happen with Microsofts KB2823324 just recently. You can find similar issues with the Linux kernel. In IT rollbacks after applying patches is one of the most common things. Even after testing the fixes out properly. That's also the reason why companies do not like things like the rapid release cycle for Firefox and why they are always behind in versions. It's also the reason why every IT management model has release management in it. It is THE most important component to prevent things from breaking when you roll out something new.

Just because 1 issue took them 15 days to fix (could you consider that fast?) doesn't mean that they can with every issue.

And yes, if you are having the issue it is very annoying that it doesn't get fixed but it still doesn't mean that some company or IT doesn't care about it. That's an assumption you are making and basing on wrong information. Do know that most problems are caused by assuming things. Being very vocal about it on some rumours forum somewhere on the internet is not going to improve the situation. If things are taking too slow then take it up with the manufacturer (aka Apple) directly.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Like I said: you have no idea what you are talking about.

It's amazing to me that people will bend over backwards so much to defend bugs. Frankly I don't care what the sycophants have to say.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It's amazing to me that people will bend over backwards so much to defend bugs. Frankly I don't care what the sycophants have to say.
It's amazing to me too, especially since this bug comes up in nearly every thread about 10.8.x updates. It is good to know if the update fixes the bug but it is idiotic to keep on complaining. Apple is not reading these threads. If you want them to fix it complain to them directly. And yes, fixing bugs takes time. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes years (there was a certain known bug in UNIX operating systems which got fixed after 10 years...). It's not that difficult but people seem to be very fond of talking themselves into a stroke or heart attack nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.