Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gretschdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Here's what I want to do. I want to convert my old Windows games to Mac applications that my computer recognizes. If I understand correctly, WineBottler and Wineskin can both do this. The game I am using to test this out is "Sid Meier's Pirates!" I know there is a version for Mac, but I want to try this out to see if I will be able to do this with other Windows games in the future. It should also be noted that this game has two discs.

Using WineBottler:

I select the game in the Mac disc drive, and select "Setup.exe." This prompts a command box to show up, which gives me two options. One of the options is to run directly on my computer, and the other option is to convert it to a simple OS X application.

When I select the first option, the installer runs fine until I get a "fatal error" message at the end of installing.

When I select the second option, and go through with creating the custom prefix, I get a message that says the prefix was successfully created. The problem, however, is when I click on that prefix that I created. It runs and then quits, giving me a "serious error" message.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried this with other old windows games (Monopoly, Boggle), but I'm still getting these messages.

Using Wineskin:

I download and update whatever Wineskin needs and then click create new wrapper. The wrapper gets created, and then I open it up and choose the option that allows me to select the setup file.

When I open the setup file, I get an error message that states that there are no new executables to be found and that I should make sure that something is in the C drive.

What am I doing wrong in both of these programs? How am I supposed to run the setup then add the second disc to it?

Thanks in advance.

aeon604

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2013
I got Pirates! to work just by copying the contents of both game discs into one "Pirates! Setup" folder i created on my hard drive.

There are some duplicate files in the 2nd disc, mostly the standard "readme.html" type crap etc. The only thing the installer is looking for from Disc 2 is the "Disk2a~.cab" date file and the folder "program files" (and it's subdirectories) that contain the actual .EXE that installer copies into the final game directory. So if these 2 items are copied from disk2 into the custom folder you make, the Setup installer will never ask for disk 2.

Also, if you copy everything to a single folder first, you can also take this opportunity to replace the "Pirates!.exe" 1.0 version that the normal installer uses with the updated 1.02 version right from the get-go, presuming you already have that updated EXE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.