Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Okay so after trying the Ipad mini one has to ask why is the 9" Ipad not like this? The volume keys are better, it's flatter, it's thinner. Ipad 4 is a bit heavier than the 3rd even if not by much.

Why can't the current Ipad look this good?

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Okay so after trying the Ipad mini one has to ask why is the 9" Ipad not like this? The volume keys are better, it's flatter, it's thinner. Ipad 4 is a bit heavier than the 3rd even if not by much.

Why can't the current Ipad look this good?

You seriously need an answer to this? Look, you already know the iPad 4 was just a spec and connector update. Why put newer materials and re-program your machines for different materials on a model that's going to get phased out for a newer redesigned model? The slate look should be saved for the iPad 5. Would you really want them to add new materials to a spec updated model or add it to a new sleeker redesigned model?

This is a common sense answer.

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
The reason the 4 is not lighter and thinner is the battery is approximately 3x the size of the Mini's. If the Mini had a retina display with the current battery it wouldn't last very long.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I though that beside the new connector, Ipad 4 also holds better battery performances which came with better chip.

But if you are talking about the thinner bezels on Mini, no one is jealous of that. Its ugly!!! I dont want to palm my tablet and i dont want my thumb on the glass the whole time.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I will be excited to see thinner/lighter, but I'm not convinced that the Mini design is the right fit for the larger iPad. I'm not so sure i would want my iPad 4 to have minimal side bezels like the Mini. I think that works for the Mini because most people can hold it with one hand, but as I use my iPad I've paid attention to how I hold it and I almost always have fingers on the side bezels. I'd much rather my thumbs not be on the screen of my tablet and there's something really beautiful and solid-looking about the current large-ipad bezel.

Also the shape. I LOVE the shape with the curved back, rather than the flat back with slightly rounded edges of the Mini. Again, this works for the Mini, but I've found that when my iPad is lying on a desk or on my bed, it's very pleasant to let my fingers just scoop it up. Don't think it would feel quite so natural with the flattened Mini-style rear design. We'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.