Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have two movies that are no longer available in the cloud.
Are you sure they ever were? There used to be (and maybe still are?) movies for sale in the store that were not available for re-download from the cloud (e.g. until about a year ago that was the case for all Fox movies). In those cases there was a disclaimer on the movie's store page ("this movie is not available for downloading from the cloud" or something similar).

----------

It's not like that at all. This is what people misunderstand about buying from iTunes. You only "own" the copy you download, you don't own the copy iTunes hosts to allow you to download your own copy.
Well, to me more precise, due to the escape clause in the Terms and Conditions quoted above, Apple does not have a legal obligation to offer the movie for repeated downloads forever.

But of course they also know that it would damage their business if that were common-place, so I'm pretty sure they will avoid that at all cost. It would be particularly bad for customers who only stream movies (e.g. through the Apple TV) rather than downloading them. The same of course goes for other services like Vudu.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
It would be particularly bad for customers who only stream movies (e.g. through the Apple TV) rather than downloading them. The same of course goes for other services like Vudu.

Which is why when people start realising this we will go full circle and everyone will want to download/buy and not stream/rent.

Last edited:

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
If Apple and the studio have a huge barney and the studio takes all its films off iTunes and you've paid to view them then you would obviously demand your money back from the studio right? I know I would.
The thing that worries me is if you only have an AppleTV 2 or above (no hardrive). What happens when you buy films and the studio takes them away?
Unfortunately, buying from the iTunes store constitutes agreeing to the terms of service, so you would have no legal standing for demanding your money back. You could try contesting the legality of the terms of service, but since you had the option to download a backup copy when you bought it, the argument doesn't seem very compelling.

With an aTV2 or higher, you should download and store a backup copy in iTunes, as Apple recommends.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Although the whole download to backup option is impossible for customers who only have tablets in this post-PC era Apple is ushering in...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Unfortunately, buying from the iTunes store constitutes agreeing to the terms of service, so you would have no legal standing for demanding your money back. You could try contesting the legality of the terms of service, but since you had the option to download a backup copy when you bought it, the argument doesn't seem very compelling.

With an aTV2 or higher, you should download and store a backup copy in iTunes, as Apple recommends.

Although the whole download to backup option is impossible for customers who only have tablets in this post-PC era Apple is ushering in...

...exactly my point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.