Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Does anyone think Apple will release an actual tv this year as some analysts predict.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Does anyone think Apple will release an actual tv this year as some analysts predict.

I would say no, every year for the past few years it seems they have said this is the year of Apple releasing an actual tv, but it never happens. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I'm not holding my breath. Apple does need some new products though as their stock is taking a beating as it appears their current product line might be getting a bit stale.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
To be honest the only reason to release a new one this year would be if it needed the dual core A5 to run apps, add 3D movie support or 24p support comes along. As it is the current model is capable of decoding all 1080p thrown at it and the A5 is still used in many shipping products (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPod touch, iPad mini) so no issue of supply.

A release next year would allow h.265 decoding hardware to be included so Apple could squeeze even more quality out of the bitrate. At this point nothing would surprise me but I'd much prefer to see a decent software update.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
To be honest the only reason to release a new one this year would be if it needed the dual core A5 to run apps, add 3D movie support or 24p support comes along. As it is the current model is capable of decoding all 1080p thrown at it and the A5 is still used in many shipping products (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPod touch, iPad mini) so no issue of supply.

A release next year would allow h.265 decoding hardware to be included so Apple could squeeze even more quality out of the bitrate. At this point nothing would surprise me but I'd much prefer to see a decent software update.

Many people argue they don't have anything else to release in March now that they seem to have moved their entire product range to summer & fall releases.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Many people argue they don't have anything else to release in March now that they seem to have moved their entire product range to summer & fall releases.

Apple is good at releasing things you never thought you wanted

They'll find something don't worry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.