Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
First time Onyx user here. Just ran Onyx 2.8. The only problem I encountered was with deleting trash - after more than 30 minutes, I got a "not responding" indication. Performed a force quit and all seems to be fine.

After running Onyx, my MBP's performance seems to be improved. If it's any reliable indication, I was seeing a significant delay in opening System Preferences since updating to Mavericks. After running Onyx, the delay is gone.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Last edited:

astoxos

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I tried it and a window popped saying that my startup disk needs repair: ''To repair your startup disk, restart your computer while holding down Command-R, then choose Disk Utility.''

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I tried it and a window popped saying that my startup disk needs repair: ''To repair your startup disk, restart your computer while holding down Command-R, then choose Disk Utility.''

That's normal (common). Just run repair in the Disk Utility app in the recovery drive. The free block count (something like that) is likely out.

astoxos

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
That's normal (common). Just run repair in the Disk Utility app in the recovery drive. The free block count (something like that) is likely out.

After repairing everything i still get this error. I am not sure why though,

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I went to
http://www.titanium.free.fr/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1667#p5402

to download Onyx for Maverick, which is there now. But after downloading and opening the file, I get the message that it can't be opened because it's from a unidentified developer.

I am suddenly getting the .ds_store files on my desktop.

Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General and change the 'Allow apps downloaded from' to 'Anywhere'. This was a Mavericks default (only Mac).

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
After repairing everything i still get this error. I am not sure why though,

Same here. I ran Repair out of Disk Utility on a "live" disk, and then I booted into a distribution USB key for Mt Lion and ran it from there . . . same result in both cases. When I went back to Onxy, it insisted that the disk needed repair.

psydocva

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Unfortunately...

according to developer, latest version doesn't provide option for changing login screen background, etc. Can be done manually, but I guess I'll see if Logonix can touch it. Not sure what's changed in Mavericks.

macfans618

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
CA
I am novice to mac & onyx. Is onyx easy to use ?

(I am familar with CCleaner&Advanced SystemCare on Windows OS.)

1singularity

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
I went to
http://www.titanium.free.fr/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1667#p5402

to download Onyx for Maverick, which is there now. But after downloading and opening the file, I get the message that it can't be opened because it's from a unidentified developer.

An alternative to globally changing the Security & Privacy settings is to hold down the Control key and click on the Onyx app. You'll see a context menu, with the top item being "Open". Click "Open" and then "OK" in the confirmation box. Onyx will now be in list of applications you approve of opening.

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I just installed 2.8.1 after upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. I have SSD and notice it says it 'cannot verify SMART status' but this used to work. When I installed Mavericks I chose to enable FileVault2, does that have anything to do with it? I upgraded and ran TrimEnabler, not sure I needed to do that.

Seems OK except for the SMART status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.