Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Luvin
macrumors member

Also, if you're looking at a high-end 21" iMac... it may make more sense to just get a refurb 27" 2011 for pretty much the same price. This would give you a slightly better graphics card (with more VRAM), a bigger screen, and the ability to add your own RAM. Currently, this is pretty hard to do because they seem to be sold out often. Mainly because everyone realized that the 2012 21" are a poor value in comparison.
Luvin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:34 PM   #27
MagicThief83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
Lowering the resolution on any screen below its native settings is ugly. Turn down effects etc before you ever drop the resolution unless you love blurry games.
About 95% of mainstream gamers play at sub-optimal settings (i.e., console gamers, 30 FPS, low-medium settings, 720p). Gaming at high resolutions 1080p, 1440p, is really a preference of a niche segment of enthusiast gamers that prefer all the eye candy. All the gaming I've done so far has been on gaming consoles. I'm sure the iMac will be leaps and bounds over what I'm used to, in terms of gaming and visual quality. I'll gladly bump the resolution down a bit for improved performance. I wouldn't mind a little blurriness.
MagicThief83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:37 PM   #28
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicThief83 View Post
About 95% of mainstream gamers play at sub-optimal settings (i.e., console gamers, 30 FPS, low-medium settings, 720p). Gaming at high resolutions 1080p, 1440p, is really a preference of a niche segment of enthusiast gamers that prefer all the eye candy. All the gaming I've done so far has been on gaming consoles. I'm sure the iMac will be leaps and bounds over what I'm used to, in terms of gaming and visual quality. I'll gladly bump the resolution down a bit for improved performance. I wouldn't mind a little blurriness.
Your TV is built to support multiple resolutions and look good doing so. Your computer monitor isn't. Anything other than native is going to look like garbage.
CapnJackGig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac