Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Management

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I just have some simple questions.

1. Can I use my iPhone or iPad PLEX Clients to airplay to my new Apple TV 3rd Gen?

2. Does the 3rd Gen Apple TV really have a dual core that is only using 1 core now? Can a software update open up the 2nd core for increase processing capability? Thanks.

I ask just because I want to know if I should wait for a new Apple TV with the possibility of apps (returning this one) or just keep it and have some expandable capabilities in the future.

Thanks!

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
1) Yes, you can AirPlay from the Plex client on either an iPhone, iPod Touch, or an iPad.

2) I have no idea.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If you want one, get it.

Chances are any new apps will be media channels, much like the addition of Hulu this year. That require little to no processor power, only menus and playing videos that are pre-formatted to work with the aTV.

Even the plex app for a jail broken aTV2 doesn't do much, all the heavy lifting of video conversion is done on the server

I think I remember reading an article somewhere that the aTVs were using "defective" iPhone chips with one bad processor, that may be what you heard about the dual core, but I don't remember the details or My brain could be making that all up

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
It's not necessarily a "bad" processor. There is also speculation that it is a disabled processor, one that is physically shutdown so it can't be opened up by a software or firmware fix.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.