Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:33 AM   #1
unregbaron
macrumors regular

Weight difference: MBA / rMBP

How noticeable is it after a few weeks of use? I like the MBA so much but working in design, retina seems to be the future, is the rMBP a big difference carrying it round all day? At the store you can feel a difference but wondered if any MBA owners who moved to rMBP felt regret?
unregbaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:37 AM   #2
maxosx
macrumors 68020

If your personal fitness is up to par, the difference is inconsequential.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregbaron View Post
How noticeable is it after a few weeks of use? I like the MBA so much but working in design, retina seems to be the future...
For the serious designer who needs heavy processing power in the field, there is no substitute for the rMBP. It's also a good one computer solution. I can see however, using the Air for your road machine and having a MP back in the office.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Efrem
macrumors member

If you compare 13" models of both, the MBA weighs 3 pounds, the rMBP 3.6. Given that you're not going to carry either of them by itself, but probably in a bag of some sort along with assorted other stuff, the difference is negligible.

If you mean an 11" MBA and/or a 15" rMBP the difference is larger, but then it's not apples-to-apples (though it's still Apple to Apple).
Efrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Retops
macrumors member

Enjoying the rMBP

My long-serving MBA did not enjoy its most recent bath and had to be replaced. I went to the store to get another MBA but after handling the MBP 13 retina, I decided to go with that. I am very happy with the decision and the extra weight was not even noticed in my case.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
martinm0
macrumors 6502

I have to admit that I've become accustomed to the MBA's tapered front and how simple it is to pick up with one hand off a table. Not because its lighter, but because my fingertips slide right under the taper and can pivot it up and off the table with ease. I found with the 15" rMPB that I had to use two hands to lift it up slightly to get under it enough before picking it up.

Not that this should define which one to purchase, but its amazing the little things that you miss once they are gone.
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice