Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombienation95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Hey, I'm currently a student who loves music and games, I've taken 3 music courses and its soon become apparent i need a mac to get the best software. Last week I had an impulse buy and brought a mac pro g5 quad core from ebay for £30 (I thought it was a good price and tbh it was more of a hopeful bid, I didnt expect to win :L) however its a lovely machine but ppc is just too outdated with all the software I want to use so ill probably sell it on (hopefully for a profit ;) ) so im kinda stuck, as mentioned before i love games to so preferably id have a mac that could run logic pro 9 etc and games like fallout using dual boot or wine or something :L thanks :)

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
any current mac....

I have had Mac Pro, Air, mini and all perform better than the PPC generation.
The current mini is affordable, fast and very good.

Would you like to go mobile, then go Air 13", the only laptops with a good graphics car is the cMBP or the 15" retina, and the conventional are a bit outdated and the retina is too expensive.

If you can wait, then wait to see what new things appear at 10th June event.

but yes, mini is good and powerful and since it's not that expensive you could sell it soon when you find out the 10th june event reveal awesome new something that you would rather have.

zombienation95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
hey,

thanks for your response :) I have been looking at mac minis but (being a student and all) i only really have a budget of 250 (I know this sounds stupid and that i can never get a good mac for that price) so ive been looking at the older white mac minis which typically for for about 200 on ebay, would these be powerful enough for logic and fallout etc? Or should I save up for a while and try and get a second hand 2011 model? Thanks

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I think the 13" Air is the perfect machine for students. You should be able to raise a couple grand over the summer break with the goal of buying refurb in the Fall. You may even get the folks to pitch in if you sell it as a productivity computer (read papers and research) vs. gaming toy.

Razzerman II

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Scunthorpe - yes, that place
Ayup,

With your 250 quid budget, I'd say look for a mac mini. I have an early 2009 mac mini, and it runs logic express 9 no problem and even diablo 3 (on lowest settings obviously). Try and grab a late 2009 mini or newer as you can easily add your own ram on those, I believe.

Good luck,

Ray

zombienation95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Thanks for the help guys :) looks like I'll be saving for a mini mac then :L

so what do I do with this powermac? Is it useful for anything? :L thanks :)

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Thanks for the help guys :) looks like I'll be saving for a mini mac then :L

so what do I do with this powermac? Is it useful for anything? :L thanks :)

Not really. There are tons of people on this forum who will swear up and down that PPC Macs are still very useful. They aren't. Sure there are some niches that they can fill, but for the average everyday person? Don't waste your time/money, just get an Intel based Mini like others have suggested.

Nlrwilson

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Arkansas
Ancient Macs are cool

I have a mac with the printer that was sold with it. A Mac IICi in storage. I think that's the title of it. I've also been able to hold onto a PowerBook 540c. I have a PowerBook 160 and a PowerBook 170. I just was given them along the way the last 25 years. I'm a bit elderly. Don't know what to do with them they sure good looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.