Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hey all, I just got the iPad Mini (16GB - Wifi Only -Black) This is my first iPad of any kind, currently have the iPhone 5 and the Macbook Air.

On a general basis, I am curious as to what apps you recommended, what functions you use most and your overall thoughts on the iPad Mini itself!

For those who have an iPhone and an iPad, how do use both in different ways?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Hey all, I just got the iPad Mini (16GB - Wifi Only -Black) This is my first iPad of any kind, currently have the iPhone 5 and the Macbook Air.

On a general basis, I am curious as to what apps you recommended, what functions you use most and your overall thoughts on the iPad Mini itself!

For those who have an iPhone and an iPad, how do use both in different ways?

I just got the Mini a few weeks ago, though I've had a regular iPad in the past. You'll love it. Generally, my favorite apps are the Google ones. Google Search is a must. It'll hook into your Gmail and Google Now is amazing.

I use the Bible app everyday and it's really smooth and the form factor is really great.

Aside from that, Entertainment apps such as Amazon Video, Netflix, ABC, CBS, are perfect on the Mini. It's why I switched from Android tablets.

Being so thin and light, I can carry this thing around anywhere. The build is terrific as well. I used the full-sized iPad recently for about 20 minutes until I realized that after using the Mini, the iPad is just too big and bulky and heavy.

Have fun!

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I just got the Mini a few weeks ago, though I've had a regular iPad in the past. You'll love it. Generally, my favorite apps are the Google ones. Google Search is a must. It'll hook into your Gmail and Google Now is amazing.

I use the Bible app everyday and it's really smooth and the form factor is really great.

Aside from that, Entertainment apps such as Amazon Video, Netflix, ABC, CBS, are perfect on the Mini. It's why I switched from Android tablets.

Being so thin and light, I can carry this thing around anywhere. The build is terrific as well. I used the full-sized iPad recently for about 20 minutes until I realized that after using the Mini, the iPad is just too big and bulky and heavy.

Have fun!

Thanks for the reply!! Do you have WIFI or Service with the device?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Thanks for the reply!! Do you have WIFI or Service with the device?

I just have the 16gb WiFi model. Because I got it for $300 total at Best Buy at the time. I figure if I need to I can always use the hotspot on my HTC One for data in a pinch.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Zite is probably my favorite app on the iPad. You input what categories you are interested in, and it brings you articles from all over the internet on those topics in a great magazine style format. Over time, it learns what you like and tunes what articles it shows you. It is incredibly good at knowing what I'm interested in now... truly changed the way I consume information.

SteveCarriere

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4. I use the iPad mostly as a music reader for church. When at home I do the usual surfing and forum reading.

I'm waiting until next week to see what Apple has in mind. I think the Mini screen would be big enough for music reading and all the other stuff. I like how light it is.

I love my iPad but it does get heavy and if a mini can do all the full size does, I may go that way next purchase.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I like these apps on iPad:

Chive, Flipboard, Pulse, Hulu, Zinio, Amazon's Kindle app

Also consider media apps:

Goodplayer - plays movie files iTunes can't handle (mkv, avi, etc)
Goodreader - great pdf reader and file manager

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Welcome to the iPad Mini! My favorite app for it is iBooks. I have downloaded and read more books in the past 6 or so weeks since I bought my mini than I ever imagined I would. Enjoy!

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I've been ripping through something like 15 books a month since I got mine. It is not a mini but will definitely grab one soon enough.

Reading on paper? BORING!

Thumbing through an iPad? RADICAL!

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
I've been ripping through something like 15 books a month since I got mine. It is not a mini but will definitely grab one soon enough.

Reading on paper? BORING!

Thumbing through an iPad? RADICAL!

It becomes addictive, doesn't it? I don't even watch much TV anymore (which may not be a bad thing) since I've gotten hooked on iBooks.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I am getting either a 16GB or a 32GB Verizon in white and silver this weekend. I have AT&T for my iPhone but their iPad plans and coverage are not as good as big red. My iPad 1 & 2 (kids now have the 2) were both wifi only.

Getting a BSE - BestSkinsEver body only skin for the back.
Getting an Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Mini.
Getting an STM D7 Jacket to carry it.

I always skin. Not a fan of cases. But never the screen.
I figured the keyboard would be useful but is detachable and best rates unlike the Belkin which is a case too and doesn't type as well.

I have the STM iPad Jacket for our iPad 2 as well as their 13" case for my MacBook Air. IMHO best carrying case out there.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
As others said, iBooks are amazing. If you want something similar that's also cross platform, download Amazon's Kindle app. For videos, there are tons of options -- Netflix, HBO Go, all of the major television networks, Time Warner Cable, etc., all have apps, most of which are quite decent.

I'm primarily a business/legal user -- I positively love reading and annotating PDF documents in iAnnotate PDF (the cumbersome name notwithstanding). It's a tremendously powerful annotation program that can effortlessly support 600 page documents, and it keeps them synced with most major cloud services.

I, and probably most of the people here, could go on and on with our favorite apps, but it might help if you let us know what sorts of things you're interested in doing with your iPad. Chances are, there's an app for that!

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
To be honest, I'm not much a reader, I do enjoy Netflix, and I am aware Time Warner offers an app (which I believe works LIVE) doesn't it?

Maybe some fun games?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
To be honest, I'm not much a reader, I do enjoy Netflix, and I am aware Time Warner offers an app (which I believe works LIVE) doesn't it?

Maybe some fun games?

Candy Crush
Kingdom Rush
Tiny Troopers
Field Runners
Tetris
Jetpack Joyride
Temple Run
The Creeps

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Just curious. Why do you need a macbook AND an ipad?

I myself have an ipad 3, a mini and a MacBook Pro. They all are different- for my on the go tablet I grab my mini. When I am at home I use my ipad 3 and for hardcore stuff (work, multi media) I use my MacBook.

Sister Owl

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2013
Congrats on the mini! I have one and I think it's the best computer I've ever owned.

I love to read, so I have several apps for reading that I can recommend – it's iBooks (for ebooks and PDFs, also has a store built-in), Blogshelf II (RSS reader similar to iBooks in design), Zite (was mentioned above, great app) and Manga Meow (if you like Japanese comics). I read couple of great free magazines – Distro (on gadgets), Cineworld (cinema), Snap (that's for Hipstamatic fans), TRVL (travels). I also subscribed for tech. magazine, which is nice, although I like free Distro better.
Tapatalk of course is a must.

I am a photography lover, and my primary camera is my iPhone, but I also use my mini to take pictures fairly often. My favorite apps for photography and editing are Camera+, Hipstamatic, ClassicTOY, iSupr8, MiniatureCam, Snapseed, and of course Instagram and Oggl.

Also, I'd suggest you get either AppPriceDrop app or find the website AppShopper and create shortcut icon to it (they have an app but I don't like it – I couldn't figure out how it works, it showed me a couple of apps a day only. I also don't understand why such an app has to be social). These are to monitor discounts for apps you want or discover apps.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Candy Crush
Kingdom Rush
Tiny Troopers
Field Runners
Tetris
Jetpack Joyride
Temple Run
The Creeps

Joe Danger
Bike Baron
Cut the Rope: Time Travel
Eyelord
Granny Smith
Puzzle Craft
Tiny Wings

...list could go on for days ;)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Joe Danger
Bike Baron
Cut the Rope: Time Travel
Eyelord
Granny Smith
Puzzle Craft
Tiny Wings

...list could go on for days ;)

I am sure we gave them enough between us to lose some sleep.

The "Little Piggy" level in normal mode in Creeps is driving me crazy. Almost got it beat so I will just keeping trying. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.