Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toblerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hello everybody.
Looking for a little advice please.

I am a teacher and a total rookie really at website stuff. I have created a website that sells history lessons and in its first couple of months it has been doing pretty well.

I am keen to make it appear on Google though but the more I read, the more confused I get.

Could anybody give me, say 10 things I must do, to make my pages appear on Google under searches such as 'history lessons' history lesson plans, worksheets etc?

I used iweb to produce this site and I would really appreciate help that refers how to do it in iweb.

For example, what are meta tags and how do I put these in iweb? etc etc.

There are some incredibly kind people on this forum and I would really truly appreciate a very dumbed down (kind of idiots guide!!) on to what I have to do next and how to do it in Iweb.

Sorry to ask - it is a bit of a big question - but the more I trawl through the web, the more confused I get!!

Thanks all.
Tolo

toblerboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Hi - thanks for this

I will give it a go

Do we need extra software though - is it difficult to do this stuff in iWeb itself?

georgewilson

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
First of all, you want to check your keywords on Google Adwords is they are relevant or not.Then try two SEO techniques ON page and OFF page to improve your website ranking on Google.Good Luck!!

John444

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
First get a google account
next submit your website here
third go here hit add site, then have fun with all googles webmaster features. (I would also look into creating an xml site map)

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
The most important advice to follow is remember to write good, consistent content. Nothing will help you more in the eyes of Google nowadays. All the tricks you use to find become more and more meaningless (as they should be)

Dindorio

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
To bring your web page on google search you should spread the keywords of your web contents on huge amount of sites by creating backlinks. which are at least PR 2. Also you should not spam on various sites while backlinking. Also you can do on page SEO for your site. I hope it will help you.

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm halfway through the third book I have read on SEO, and this is by far the best. If you're serious about SEO, give "The Art of SEO" a thorough read.

If anyone else has recommendations on other books, I would love some advice on my next read. :)

grizfan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Boise, ID
There's been some good advice offered already, but I'll try to add what I can. First, keep a few concepts in mind while working on this. To start with, SEO is an ongoing process and not just an event. You will get to a point where everything you do for your site will have an SEO angle.
Next, look at things from Google's perspective. Their goal is to return relevant results for their users. If you have good, useful content on your website, your site will be relevant for people conducting certain searches. You will need to understand what those searches are, and focus on getting in front of those users. A Google Webmaster Tools account will help greatly in this regard. Find out what search terms people might be using, and concentrate on those.
Next, make sure your HTML code is properly structured so the search spiders can understand your pages. Things like the HTML title tag, META description tag and heading tags are very important. When creating links, make your link text very descriptive. Also, pay attention to the ratio of code to content. Finally, do what you can to make your site load quickly.
Next, pay attention to links. Make sure you create links within your own site to your "star" content. If you can, build relations with other similar websites. Link farms are a really bad thing, but if you can get some links from other academic or history-related websites, that will really help.
Finally, be patient. This takes a lot of time. Focus on creating a useful, interesting website for your visitors and creating clean, structurally sound HTML as your two top priorities. Keep an eye on Google webmaster tools and track your progress with web analytics (such as Google analytics). Over time, you will get there.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Some great advice has already been given. I will second some of that in mine. Focus on making your site useful, descriptive and relevant to your visitors keeping in mind the spiders see it as all text. A site consisting entirely of images would not appear very relevant to the search engines. Incorporate key words in your text content that your target audience would use in searching for your services/subject matter, keeping in mind they have no idea what your company name is. A company name, that mentions what you do is better than an abstract name. It's helpful if your domain name reflects what you offer. Sometimes companies will register multiple domains -- one for example that has what they do/offer and also one that has the actual name.

Quality incoming links from high ranking sites will increase your rank, essentially voting your site higher in the rankings. Pick up all the free incoming links you can such as Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Verizon, Facebook, LinkedIn, business listings and the like. Get into Dmoz and Wikipedia if you can. In my line of work, I require clients to link back to me which helps with future business. Make sure your url is on all your printed material like business cards and other literature.

One other tip, offer something for free and helpful like a tutorial or study notes that will drive traffic to your site. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Tell your students to go to your site to download class material. Search engines crawl PDFs and other docs so all that helps boost your ranking.

This is not an overnight process but an ongoing task for business owners, nevertheless it is most labor intensive at the outset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.